Rene's Panic Attack - and its consequences today

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      This is an excerpt from an article regarding Rene
      Descartes' "discovery" - his erroneous perception about the mind
      which pervades thinking today. It addresses neuroscience,
      consciousness and the "self".

      "Notwithstanding the knowledge we have gleaned about the role of the
      frontal lobes in voluntary action, we are likely to look just as
      absurd in four centuries' time if we construe ourselves along lines
      suggested by current neuroscience. It seems that our fundamental self-
      definition will always be more salutary if we eschew our contemporary
      science popularisers and find some more trustworthy foundations for
      our self-definition. Failing that, the alternatives seem to be
      psychosis or the kind of alienation identified long ago by Durkheim
      and which may well be connected to our destruction of the physical
      environment as we panic and try to make something outside ourselves
      tell us what we really are."

      <http://www.sci-con.org/editorials/20030801.html>

      Mary Jo