Re: [existlist] answer no. 3

  • William Harris
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
      Yulian, Aslong as you are happy, Bill

      "Yulian K. Gaard" wrote:

      > Noone have killed god neither.
      > Sartre claim to, but it is invalid in that there is a simple exception - and in that he defined the concept of god logically and found that he couldent wich was his "killing".
      >
      > Respectfully submitted.
      >
      > " Magic is a way of life. "

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
        Bill,

        actually the bookdock keeps me on my toes ... i think we would not have fun
        without him ....

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
          Yulian,

          wait for answer no. 4 ... im working on that ...

          have fun ...

          *points at williams yelling; "Positivist ! Burn the 'vist !!!"*

          Okey more constructive ...
          Noone have ever disprooven god.
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
            hey folks,

            isnt this getting a bit off the subject ...

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
              But I'm bored ... And kinda just deleted the last few days of mail as I was busy studying Sartre, Kierkegaard and Existentialism in general =)=)=)

              Respectfully submitted.

              " Magic is a way of life. "
            • Eduard Alf
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                Yulian et folks,

                sorry to hear you are bored ... the following is answer no. 4 which may be
                of interest ...

                4. everything is flowing ... the table is not just a table ... it is the
                present appearance and includes the tree from which it came and the ashes
                which it is to become ... like a momentary fluctuation in a time line ...

                have fun ...

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Yulian,

                    yep ... my own ... although i dont know what "relativistic positivistic"
                    means ...

                    think of a long string, held tight ... this represents the time line from
                    start to finish ... then think of a fluctuation at some point in the string
                    (say the middle) ... the string has only one dimension; its length ... the
                    fluctuation or vibration adds other dimensions ... if just up and down, then
                    it has two dimensions ... if up, down and back and forth, then it has three
                    dimensions ... the location of the fluctuation can be seen as akin to time
                    ... so the string or time line, changes into our four dimensional universe
                    and the thing which is the fluctuation suddenly appears ... in the case of
                    the table the fluctuation is in our present time, and it appears as a table
                    ... in past time it may have been a fluctuation as a tree ...

                    of course everything has a time line and these all cross in the present ...
                    the time line for the wood of the table crosses with the time line for the
                    bolts that attach the legs ...

                    can one extend this idea to god ... in that god is also a fluctuation that
                    appears in our time? ...

                    have fun ... im going to take a nap ... thinking is exhausting ...

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Eduard,

                      "relativistic positivistic"
                      Posetivism is a line of thinking where 'science' and especially physics and math is the ideal. Big part of the thinking included is that all things is determined (decided) by factors such as society, biology, molecule structures, chemestry ect. and that those sciences can 'predict the future' if they have enough information.

                      Relativism means that you think that everything is dependant on the others, here especially ment the place in history and society ...

                      Thinking
                      Yulian

                      Respectfully submitted.

                      " Magic is a way of life. "
                    • Eduard Alf
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                        Yulian,

                        i suppose ... but the idea here is not specifically within science .. i know
                        that Hawkings got into time lines, but mostly for black holes ... what im
                        offering here is that objects are really an isolated moment within a process
                        ... that if you make a choice now, then you affect the time line ... so ones
                        decisions have to be more than just what you see now ... i suppose that we
                        already know that ... but it is not often put into words ... and is not
                        applied to everything ....

                        have fun ...

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                          as monty python said

                          "Life is evolving, revolving, at 50,000 miles and hour"

                          Yep. Time and stuff. Didn't Einstein say time was relativte. Wasn't I who
                          always mentioned relativity.

                          Sarcastic me
                          sweaters

                        • Eduard Alf
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                            Luke,

                            you miss the point ... i guess im not being too clear ... the thing is not
                            evolution or movement through time ... the idea is that an object is a
                            process and includes both its past and its future, whatever that future may
                            be ... it is Taoist ... i suppose i have not yet gotten the concept right
                            myself, since i cant express it clearly ...

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                              Eduard ...

                              For a rock it is kinda obvious statement ...
                              For something like a tree you might make a coutch from it, but it's still a wooden coutch - as in "made of a tree".
                              Only for humans would it make any meaning.

                              In objects it's a pointless discussion you are comming with weither their essence or existence comes first - or rather a triviality. If you make a coutch (though it comes from a tree) the essence of a coutch comes first in that you are building from an by you thought up idea ... The tree as existing as a tree would in the making of the coutch be lost in that its physical properties goes into a natural process. After all, you wont claim that you are a "soon to be rot"; you are defining yourself from what you actually is. And probably also from your relations to things in your case. The bedst description of any person would be that "he is" and nothing but that.

                              No sence
                              Yulian

                              Respectfully submitted.

                              " Magic is a way of life. "
                            • Eduard Alf
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                                Yulian,

                                yes ... for that instance when you are looking at the couch (lets call it a
                                bench, since i dont know how to spell it either), it is the object that you
                                use to sit on ... however, what im getting at is that an awareness that it
                                was once a tree ... im suggesting that this is more than awareness ... that
                                the tree is part of the time line of the bench and is very real ... for
                                example, somewhere in a forest somewhere there is an empty space which was
                                the tree that you chopped down to make the bench ... that space is also a
                                non-tree ... so if you were counting the forest you would have 9,999 trees
                                and one non-tree ... so your bench continues to have a certain reality in
                                its past ... im saying that objects are not static .. they are a moment in a
                                process ... just as a car is also some ore in a mine somewhere ... and your
                                morning cereal is also a crop in a field somewhere ...

                                have fun ...

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                                  So if someone dies, rot in earth and become dirt, then they are still there as a non-person ? And that dirt is still a person ??

                                  Respectfully submitted.

                                  " Magic is a way of life. "
                                • Eduard Alf
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                                    Yulian,

                                    yes ... if you consider "dirt" as being the materials that come from the
                                    body ... hey did you see where some scientist .. i think in the netherlands
                                    is working on a means to make dead people into fertilizer ... sounds good to
                                    me ...

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                                      eduard

                                      is it like the tramalfadorians (spelling?) from slaughterhouse five? They
                                      see in four dimensions. If they saw me for example, they will see me as i
                                      was, is and will be.

                                      Sweaters
                                    • Eduard Alf
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                                        Luke,

                                        i guess im not succeeding in being clear .. let me try again ... in physics
                                        there is the idea of probability ... that is you cant simultaneously
                                        determine the location and speed of something ... so think of a line that is
                                        of infinite length ... it is absolutely straight for essentially all of its
                                        length, except for one location which represents the present ... at this
                                        location you have a wave whose amplitude is distributed over a short
                                        distance .. at the precise location the amplitude is high and then lessens
                                        to either side ... it is like a little bulge in the line ... i see this as
                                        the same as a photon of light which can be both a wave and a particle at the
                                        same time ... so you as Luke are on your time line ... you exist in only one
                                        location which is the present and you flow along the time line from the past
                                        to the future ... now, the future is not fixed ... the choices that you make
                                        in the present can change the direction of the line ...

                                        that is what im getting at in saying the table is the present display on its
                                        time line ... it does not exist in the past (to the left on the line) but we
                                        are aware of where it was since the line leads to that empty space
                                        (non-tree) in the forest ... and it does not exist in the future (to the
                                        right on the line) ... the future or direction of the line is dependent upon
                                        what is done today ... if we throw it in the fire, the direction is to
                                        ashes, and if we turn it into a chair then the direction of the time line
                                        will lead to that empty space amongst the living room furniture ...

                                        have fun (but watch where you send your line) ...

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                                          i see i see.

                                          Here's a situation that my friends and I discuss alot (because they
                                          like physics):
                                          A Cat is in a box. Once the box is opened a gas is released and the
                                          cat dies. So, the cat in the closed box is both alive and dead.

                                          Yep, that's it.
                                        • Eduard Alf
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 4, 2001
                                            Luke,

                                            nope ... the cats dead ... definitely dead ... i heard that story before ...
                                            so i went out and found the box ... and opened it ... and i can tell you
                                            truthfully ... THE CATS DEAD ... i killed the cat ... you can inform your
                                            friends that the story is over, unless they want to do it on TNN ...

                                            have fun (but dont tell the cat) ...