Re: [existlist] Re: A thought or reallignment of intellectual prejudice?

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
      Steve,

      From what you are saying, I would gather that the hierarchy
      of importance is not relation to body and mind, but of a
      hierarchy of the importance of individual (to avoid getting
      shot) in relation to society (to wind the battle).

      As to the individual, my view is that its importance is a
      subjective decision and need not have any purpose beyond the
      individual. But the individual exists within a society and
      it is for the society that the individual exists. But in
      this we don't need to imagine an all encompassing purpose.
      We just battle for society because that is what we do. A
      good example of this can be found in "The Plague" by Albert
      Camus. In the ending paragraphs the narrator [actually Dr.
      Rieux of the story] has ...

      "Nonetheless, he knew that the tale he had to tell could not
      be one of final victory. It could only be the record of
      what had had to be done, and what assuredly would have to be
      done again in the never ending fight against terror and its
      relentless onslaughts, despite their personal afflictions,
      by all who, while unable to be saints but refusing to bow
      down to pestilences, strive their utmost to be healers.

      And, indeed, as he listened to the cries of joy rising from
      the town. Rieux remembered that such joy is always
      imperiled. He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know
      but could be learned from books: that the plague bacillus
      never dies or disappears for good; that it can lie dormant
      for years and years in furniture and linen-chests; that it
      abides its time in bedrooms, cellars, trucks, and
      bookshelves; and that perhaps the day would come when, for
      the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its
      rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

      Albert Camus, is focusing upon a way of overcoming nihilism,
      and the novel is a symbolical account of the fight against
      an epidemic in Oran by characters whose importance lies less
      in the (doubtful) success with which they oppose the
      epidemic than in their determined assertion of human dignity
      and fraternity.

      eduard

      > > >Ed,
      > My idea regarding the function of an object was that
      possibly the
      > idea precedes the result and if this is so then the
      function is
      > determined by my faith and the result cannot be known
      until the
      > action has been executed. Using the analogy of the
      soldier, his
      > finger at a certain point is more important than his toe
      because of
      > its function at that period of time but I forgot to
      mention that the
      > foundation of the importance is his faith and knowledge,
      which
      > inextricably link his mind to the importance of his finger
      in the
      > battle. His action isn't determined by anyone's standard
      of
      > the
      > hierarchy of importance because he can easily refuse to
      pull the
      > trigger and allow himself to be shot. His actions are a
      result of
      > his personal definition of importance not actual
      importance. These

      > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
      Canon or Lexmark
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/