The search for meaning

  • sorenkierkagaard
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2003
      1. Is the concept of meaning objective in nature? If it is how
      is it measured? If it isn't then can it not be solely determined
      by
      individual circumstances?
      2. What method of investigation determines that intellectual
      inquiry is without human merit? Isn't the value of any scholarly
      analysis predicated on its intended consequences? How can this be
      known aproiri?
      3. Isn't the value of any sensory apparatus related to its
      function at any given moment?
      4. If academic research should be limited only to observable
      events then shouldn't literature and philosophy departments be
      banished forever?
      5. Has anyone ever seen an atom?
      6. My motivations are limited to the enhancement of knowledge
      in the discussion of highly complex ideas. Vacuous remarks interfere
      with the understanding that this subject matter requires and are
      more suitable to a sports-bar conversation than to this forum.
      Individuals offering advice should examine their own understanding
      the dilemma we all face in a universe hostile to human happiness. I
      think the course of action I have suggested in the previous sentence
      will make the exchange of ideas more fruitful and pleasant.
    • ana mana
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2003
        Ti pitas da li je neko video atome pa nemora sve da
        se vidi bitan momenat je vera.Ali vera nije gledanje
        ziveti na osnovu nje znaci ziveti tako da se mozemo
        usuditi da verujemo da bog jeste....Vera postoji zato
        sto znanjem ne mozemo da izmenimo paradoksalnost naseg postojanja

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Mary Jo Malo
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2003
          Perhaps. Why would it be so horrible to base philosophy and
          literature on the observable (broadest scientific meaning) rather
          than on the imaginary?

          Mary Jo

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "sorenkierkagaard"
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
            "...To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life
            you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for
            greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than
            earth..." Thomas Wolfe

            Epiphenomenon and Meno's Pause

            relax
            in your pursuit of power
            there's usually someone
            something more powerful
            stay calm
            in your quest for truth
            otherwise
            you won't recognize it
            listen
            to the confident knowers
            then turn and smile
            and pat your heart
            because
            until you find
            what you never lost
            you may have to pay
            more than it's worth
            believe me
            i only suspect
            that when you find
            what's real
            you won't need to know
            or believe it
            it will just be
            like the sun
            or a platypus
            like the rain
            or mud
            a tsunami
            or poison ivy
            like laughter
            or blood

            mjm
          • Tina =).
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
              hello mjm-

              thank you for the enlightening poem. its appropriate timing for me.

              cheers,
              tina

              On 6/2/05, Mary Jo Malo <maryjomalo@...> wrote:
              > "...To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life
              > you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for
              > greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than
              > earth..." Thomas Wolfe
              >

              > Epiphenomenon and Meno's Pause
              >
              > relax
              > in your pursuit of power
              > there's usually someone
              > something more powerful
              > stay calm
              > in your quest for truth
              > otherwise
              > you won't recognize it
              > listen
              > to the confident knowers
              > then turn and smile
              > and pat your heart
              > because
              > until you find
              > what you never lost
              > you may have to pay
              > more than it's worth
              > believe me
              > i only suspect
              > that when you find
              > what's real
              > you won't need to know
              > or believe it
              > it will just be
              > like the sun
              > or a platypus
              > like the rain
              > or mud
              > a tsunami
              > or poison ivy
              > like laughter
              > or blood
              >
              > mjm

            • Mary Jo Malo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
                tina,

                you're welcome. just remember to turn away from me as well. i can
                only hope that you also remember to smile and pat your heart.

                mjm

                Service.