Re: [existlist] Does belief preceed the facts that support it?

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2003
      As below ....

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "sorenkierkagaard" <stevenolden@...>
      To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:05 PM
      Subject: [existlist] Does belief preceed the facts that
      support it?

      > 1. Doesn't personal opinion often disguise itself as moral
      > authority? Would intellectual inquiry be enhanced if more
      > individuals admitted that they believe in a ruling elite
      as long as
      > they are the emperors?

      ---> Not necessarily.

      > 2. Doesn't everybody typing in this forum possess absolute
      > irrefutable answers to social problems without regard for
      individual
      > interests?

      ---> Resolution of social problems need not jeopardize
      individual interests.

      > 3. Don't most minds choose social positions based on
      individual
      > motives?

      ---> Of course. If you use your mind, then you are doing
      so for personal/individual motive.

      > 4. Aren't most human interactions based on inherent covert
      self
      > interest disguised as altruism?

      ---> It doesnt have to be disguised. That there is self
      interest is obvious.

      > 5. Is hatred at the core of our rejection of opposing
      points of
      > view and personal integrity a major component of our
      rejection of
      > opposing points of view and not any sort of objective
      investigation
      > of the facts devoid of intervening and sordid
      psychological factors?

      ---> No.

      > 6. Can humans make any claim with an ontological
      certainty?

      ---> What is "ontological certainty"??

      > 7. Is materialism only bad because I say it is?

      ---> Depends if you are correct in what you are saying.
      What are you saying??