New page on Primer

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2003
      I thought I would let the mailing list know that I am creating a
      master list of questions for students and instructors.

      The page is at http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/equeries.asp

      It will be part of the Primer as soon as I have more questions. I have
      more to add and will select more questions over time. I am still
      optimistic that some members of this mailing list will also offer
      opinions on the book lists I proposed to add to the group Web site.

      Questions so far...

      General Questions

      What is existentialism?

      Which writers and thinkers embraced the label "existentialist" and
      which did not?

      Specific Thinkers

      Camus

      How is Camus' absurdism different from that of Kafka?

      Is Camus an existentialist?

      How is Sisyphus an existential hero?

      Hegel

      How does Hegel influence phenomenology and existentialism?

      Heidegger

      While criticizing religion at times, Heidegger's writings border on
      theological mysticism. Did Heidegger recognize his mystical tone? Does
      it damage his scholarship?

      Was Heidegger sorry for his role in the Third Reich? What were his
      regrets? For what did he never express regret?

      Husserl

      Husserl's phenomenology served as the basis for the works of Sartre
      and Heidegger. What does existentialism owe to phenomenology? How do
      the two differ?

      What is the transcendental ego in Husserl's philosophy?

      Nietzsche

      How does Nietzsche's classics education (philology) influence his
      philosophy?

      How does Nietzsche define morality?

      Sartre

      Sartre characterized human relationships as inescapably marked by
      conflict. Why is there a conflict? How is "The Look" related to
      "Being-for-Others" in Sartre's writings?

      What are the roles of masochism and sadism in Sartre's works?

      According to Sartre, why are humans drawn towards troubled relationships?

      What is "nothingness" in Sartre's works? How does the concept evolve
      throughout his career?