Jean-Paul and Simone

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2003
      To compare Simone to Jean-Paul, I suggest any number of biographies on
      Simone; Northwestern University has done some excellent work revealing
      how much of "Being and Nothingness" (forgive my use of quotes) was
      based on her notes -- not his.

      1. Read "Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre" by Simone de Beauvoir. It is a
      collection of transcripts; they recorded many of their final
      conversations. The debates are clear and well argued by both. The
      respect, and the pain, each had is also obvious.

      2. Deidre Bair's "Simone de Beauvoir" is a simple, but well-written
      book by the author of "Samuel Beckett." It's not up-to-date (1990) with
      current research, yet it has the best profile I've read.

      3. Claude Drancis and Fernande Gontier, "Simone de Beauvoir" (a popular
      title?), is more intrigued by Sartre's relationships than those of
      Simone de Beauvoir -- very revealing if you ask me.

      I'll search for the Northwestern title, but I think the information is
      already outlined on my Web page. I'm a bit busy and have failed to
      update several of the pages for which I have notes prepared.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
      http://www.tameri.com