Can an evaluation of meaning be objective?

  • sorenkierkagaard
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      If Existentialism reflects the emotions and decisions of the
      individual attempting to attach meaning to his/her world then why are
      the pursuits of hedonism or avarice dismissed? Why does meaning have
      a greater value when attached to intellectual speculations? Does a
      hierarchy of meaning exist? If an individual who devotes his/her life
      entirely to the pursuit of physical pleasure is dismissed as a
      hedonist unworthy of existential acclaim then individual meaning is
      minimized to establish a nomenclature of meaning established not by
      individuals but by sterile academics.
      Once and individual posits the indisputable fact that meaning is
      subjective then why would one aspect of meaning take president over
      another? In the same respect can anyone claim red is more important
      to me as an important color to me than blue?