RE: [existlist] ethics and virtues

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2001
      Diana et folks,

      people accept morals or whatever, due to a number of reasons ... certainly
      there is the idea that the morals are appealing ... then, on the other hand,
      getting burned at the stake does have its impact ... of course just for
      those who are watching ... the victim wont offend morals again ...

      have fun (and pray for rain) ...

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4 7:02 PM
        i know this specific article has been out of circulation, but i have just now
        found the time to reply and comment.

        the process of accepted ethics and virtues.. by way of childhood influences?
        personal surroundings? isnt it always because of one's influences? whether yr
        decisions are made via you witness a death or a rape or via yr parents told
        you to. both instances would be experiences. ponderment continues..

        hello everyone. i am kris. i doubt formal introductions are desired. i just
        thought everyone should know that there's a new mind aboard.

        <3 kris...¤

      • starredkore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4 7:03 PM

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4 7:28 PM
            hi Kris,

            welcome aboard ...

            sure, decisions are made on the basis of experiences ... that is why people
            appear to be mature when all that is happening is that they have more
            experiences to draw upon ... personally, i dont think the basic thought
            process or who you are underneath ever changes from when your personality
            was first formed as a child ...

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 5 1:54 AM
              Well, I think that noone minds assuming old discussions. they usually seem to die somewhere between where I suddently suop finding them interesting and Eduard and bookdoc get tired of just being against eachother while the rest cant find new arguments ...

              "the process of accepted ethics and virtues.." I'd claim was done by own choice on basis of judgement between good and bad consequences (this judgement comes on values from experiences) and ambitions in life; ambitions wich create your morality and ethics. Ofcause you can allways choose to disregard what that ethic tell you too.

              As for the formal introduction; it's a pleasure for you to meet me, Kris and likevice I am certain *wink* And incase you didnt read all the former messages; ponds dont taste well !

              Still novaing
              Yulian

              Respectfully submitted.

              " Magic is a way of life. "
            • starredkore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5 4:36 PM
                Eduard,

                Really? so you say that one's personality is already "intact" upon birth?
                that experiences dont affect you or your choices? that's very intruiging to
                me. could you explain, possibly, how you came to that personal decision?

                <3 kris

                yeoman@... writes:

                > hi Kris,
                >
                > welcome aboard ...
                >
                > sure, decisions are made on the basis of experiences ... that is why people
                > appear to be mature when all that is happening is that they have more
                > experiences to draw upon ... personally, i dont think the basic thought
                > process or who you are underneath ever changes from when your personality
                > was first formed as a child ...
                >
                > eduard

              • Eduard Alf
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5 6:59 PM
                  Kris,

                  i said "formed as a child" ... i subscribe to the theory that we born as a
                  blank page and it gets filled as we grow ... there is some thought that this
                  development of the personality ends at around 5 or something ... anyway, i
                  dont think you are born with an already developed personality ... perhaps
                  some characteristics may develop while the child is in the womb, but it
                  would not go back all the way to when you were only a fertilized egg ... or
                  a gleam in your father's eye ...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5 7:18 PM
                    kris

                    existence preceedes essence
                    -Sartre

                    luke
                  • Eduard Alf
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5 7:29 PM
                      Luke,

                      and your point ????

                        "so you say that one's personality is already "intact" upon birth?"

                        so i said Sartre's statement about our personality and what not. i guess i
                        was too short

                      • Eduard Alf
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 5 8:09 PM
                          Luke,

                          i should really get to reading Sartre ... but then i have a ton of books to
                          go through first ... i bought the "Tao of Physics" ... it is the 25th
                          anniversary issue ... i did not think it was that long ...

                          anyway, i think we got to the point that personality is not intact upon
                          birth ...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5 10:31 PM
                            Luke ...
                            In man, and man alone, existence preceedes essence; for all other things you can reverse the idea or atleast make it a triviality if you ask Sartre.

                            Respectfully submitted.

                            " Magic is a way of life. "
                          • starredkore@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 6 8:36 PM
                              very true very true.. i had to study existentialism for six months you see.
                              and i had no idea what i was getting into.. now look at me.. im getting
                              involved with you enlightened people! *smile*.

                              adieux.
                              kris.

                            • starredkore@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 6 8:38 PM
                                Yulian,

                                really? sartre said that? thats so interesting. why did he think that the..
                                "motto".. did not apply to all other creatures? did he express this view in
                                one of his books or did you read that somewhere?

                                adieux.

                                kris.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 7 2:36 AM
                                  Existentialism and human emotions ... I belive that's where he expressed it in.

                                  The reason that he didnt think that it applied for other things is because he was into phenemenology (o' why bother trying - I know I cant spell it ! Someone give me the right spelling !). You'd need to read up on that yourself if you care to know alot, but basically it says that reality exists undependant from us and that what we see is just an impression from the real world. I belive Sartre demonstarted it with a beermug - wich he originally had from one of his freinds, but not certain where I've heard that.

                                  Have fun reading
                                  Yulian

                                  Respectfully submitted.

                                  " Magic is a way of life. "
                                • Eduard Alf
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 7 5:07 AM
                                    Yulian et folks,

                                    oooohhhhh .... phenomenology .... now where have i heard of this ... and
                                    that concept of reality existing independent of us ... geee i wonder if
                                    someone in this existlist group might have mentioned this before??? ...

                                    have fun ...

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 7 5:12 AM
                                      eduard ... I wouldnt know. I havent noticed

                                      Respectfully submitted.

                                      " Magic is a way of life. "