The Truth of a Man

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      Cup Of Kindness (For Willehelm)

      I went down t' the river by a deep quiet pool
      and lay down on the bank with the sun on my face
      and thought of you washin' the rust from my skin
      What a cool cup o' kindness fer a wanderin' fool

      We try t' give names
      We try t' own the land
      We try t' drive the bad
      from the good of a man

      I once swallowed a river o' dancin' clear words
      and they moved so inside me like fine lace in the wind
      and stepped out on my paper with such delicate tread
      What a bright cup o' kindness fer a wanderin' fool

      We try t' make love
      Try t' keep hold a hand
      We try t' drive the wrong
      from the right of a man

      I once met a stranger on dark twistin' road
      come there a lookin' t' keep me from harm
      and he died at my feet lookin' up in my eyes
      What a last cup o' kindness fer a wanderin' fool

      We try t' believe
      and try hard t' know
      We try t' drive the lies
      from the truth of a man

      What we have made us an' what we will be
      is all that we are in the darkness we cross
      Crossing me, crossing you, crossing me, crossing you
      What a sweet cup o' kindness fer the wanderin' fool

      T.M. Malo