Nihilism

    Message 1 of 173 , Oct 2 7:29 AM
      It is a poor name. Like atheism it is of the most negative of
      connotations. The name returns to the perspective of belief. Yes,
      there is no faith, in god, in morals, in churches, in clergy. So if
      these things have no basis why name their succession from their
      perspective. We are proposing a practical world and we name it in the
      verbiage of the old curse.
      Selling nothing is also a very difficult project. "Hey,watcha got
      for me"?Answer: "Nothing" . That is not a close, it is a collapse. It
      is no suprise our cosmic view is better experienced than taught.
      Those with ordered minds and a sense for rebellion gravitate to
      existentialism. How many are driven away by the word bombs"Angst"
      and "Nihilism"? One reason I renounced christianity was the enduring
      negativism of the old rugged cross. Should I flee to nihilism?
      When we cease to impress ourselves with the gravitas of our message
      we might link to the positivism of a practical view of existance.
      Bill
    • PoetCSW
      Message 173 of 173 , Jan 14, 2011
        Someone on television -- I am not sure of the network, since I was busy staring at my computer screen -- just said the Arizona shooting was nihilism on display.

        Apparently, two friends of the perpetrator have said he called himself a nihilist. I wanted to respond, but this seems the only place where people might know the answer.

        1) Wasn't "nihilism" a Russian movement to overturn a corrupt government, not merely a call to destroy everything and anything? It devolved, certainly, but I thought it was a defined moment in Russian history.

        2) Even current "nihilists" and "anarchists" in Greece and Spain seem to be focused on social issues. I might dislike their methods, but it appears the Mediterranean nihilists are closely aligned with a historical "anarchists" movement. Is that incorrect?

        I know, with some level of certainty, that "nihilism" is not random violence. It is a defined belief, even a scientific or pragmatic movement that sought to rebel against the Romantic, the idealistic, the general trends in Continental thought. In this light, nihilism is an opposite to existentialism or some forms of anarchism. I always associated nihilism with the rise of Western and Soviet Marxism, two movements that nihilists viewed as incomplete, still to idealistic.

        Admittedly, not one of my university courses spent any time on nihilism. I think the only mention might have been while we were discussing Russian film and rhetoric.

        - C. S.