Girl Talk

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2003
      Nicole,

      I love patchouli. I wear a cologne of that name by Jovan. It's
      wonderful. Smells like the incense and the woods in the morning.
      During dinner and watching the war on television, my very enlightened
      and leftist foster parents were filling me in on the stupidity of the
      war. When I took these ideas to my rural conservative high school,
      they called me a communist.

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Schultheis" <nschulth@i...>
      wrote:
      > i was in high school then. my friend (actually a sort of
      boyfriend) was the son of a man -- you'd recognize the name
      immediately -- who reported on the news nightly from saigon on
      network tv. i watched him every night, sometimes with things blowing
      up or being shot at or dissolving into chaos behind him. it seemed
      odd. odd that love itself seemed represented by a brief nightly
      flicker on national tv confirming that it was still alive, but very
      far from home, and in a very dangerous place. it was right around
      that time that God died, as i recall. it was also right around that
      time i found out what marijuana smelled like. and patchouli.

      > Nicole

      party. I stayed at my safe little almost rural UW-Whitewater campus.
      My husband had relatives at Kent State. I was bravely vocal against
      the war, but that's about it. When Saigon fell before my eyes (only
      on television) I cried like a baby. I cried for all the people who
      wanted to leave. I cried for all our soldiers. I cried for all the
      parents of the fallen soldiers. I hated Richard Nixon. I wanted it
      all to mean something, since so many had paid such a price. I hated
      wars after that but never the soldiers. That's my pitiful Vietnam
      story.