Potpourri (yes that nasty smelling blend of no particular scent)

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 11:25 AM
      This brings to mind the somewhat silly named artistic movement, The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Definitions are boring. History can be boring. Philosophy devoid of real people is sterile. As much as we like to say we're self-styled, we aren't independent of our "existential layers". We're products of biology and history. If you aren't rebelling against some kind of idiocy in the world, you're probably an idiot.

      Mary Jo

      eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:
      The use of the word, however, is a problem. If you say that
      someone is a "postmodernist", then their views are in
      advance of someone who might be a modernist. Thus
      "modernist" is not today, but in the past. So one might
      also ask when did this modernist exist -- in the 90s, 70 or
      perhaps in the 50s.

      Actually, the term "postmodernist" is mostly used for
      architecture in relation to the modernist movement in the
      1930s. Post modernist would then be in the 40s and 50s.

      But that still leaves the term as used within philosophy. I
      asked the same question on another philosophy list and never
      got an answer.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 11:41 AM
        In a message dated 9/2/2003 1:06:20 PM Central Standard Time,
        yeoman@... writes:
        The use of the word, however, is a problem. If you say that
        someone is a "postmodernist", then their views are in
        advance of someone who might be a modernist. Thus
        "modernist" is not today, but in the past. So one might
        also ask when did this modernist exist -- in the 90s, 70 or
        perhaps in the 50s.

        Actually, the term "postmodernist" is mostly used for
        architecture in relation to the modernist movement in the
        1930s. Post modernist would then be in the 40s and 50s.

        But that still leaves the term as used within philosophy. I
        asked the same question on another philosophy list and never
        got an answer.

        eduard
        I've heard several examples of postmodern architecture referred to as
        "modern" in common parlance simply because they are recent. In discussions like the
        one at hand, it's just used as an Orwellian shorthand for "something I don't
        like."

        In literature, postmodern refers to the reaction against the fragmented and
        isolated narrative and lyric forms employed by writers like Eliot and Wilder;
        sometimes it's almost a parody of them, like Catch-22 or Slaughterhouse Five;
        generally it's manifested in a return to more identifiably linear narrative
        forms with recognition of the audience and interpretive community in which it
        will be experienced. Alice Walker's Third Life of Grange Copeland or Don
        Dellilo's White Noise are good examples of postmodern lit.

        Jean Francoise Lyotard's monograph "The Postmodern Condition" A Report on
        Knowledge," which is usually published with his essay "What is the Postmodern"
        would probably answer your question much better than I can. Published first in
        Canada, as I recall.

        Ed Tyler

      • eduard at home
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 3:10 PM
          Ed,

          That gets me no further than what we started out with. If
          postmodernist refers to a literary style, then it must be a
          style in a particular time. Otherwise, why use a word which
          is a combination of two other terms that relate to time??
          But that's Ok. It would appear to me that the word is being
          used for affect rather than to aid definition.