Re: Characteristics of Morality

  • bjunius30
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Man does not survive on history, nor could he be able to make history
      on his own, if he were to be thrown on some desolate planet, with no
      modes of communication or able to share some intimate epiphany. And
      our lives are not duty bound by any such morals. Just ask someone
      from the Dark ages, if you could go back in time! Man has about much
      wisdom, only when his tooth rots, and then realizes He is no longer a
      young virile man.

      Virtues are like rationalizing from a cage.

      Bryan

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <alcyon11@y...>
      wrote:
      > In preferring rebellion to revolution, Camus states: " . . .
      history
      > alone offers no hope. It is not a source of values, but is still a
      > source of nihilism. Can one, at least, create values in defiance of
      > history, on the single level of a philosophy based on eternity?
      That
      > comes to the same as ratifying historical injustice and the
      > sufferings of man. To slander the world leads to the nihilism
      defined
      > by Nietzsche. Thought that is derived from history alone, like
      > thought that rejects history completely, deprives man of the means
      > and the reason for living. The former drives him to the extreme
      > decadence of `why live?' the latter to `how live?' History,
      necessary
      > but not sufficient, is therefore only an occasional cause. It is
      not
      > absence of values, nor values themselves, nor even the source of
      > values. It is one occasion, among others, for man to prove the
      still
      > confused existence of value that allows him to judge history.
      > Rebellion itself makes us the promise of such a value. Atheist
      > existentialism at least wishes to create a morality. This morality
      is
      > still to be defined."
      >
      > And in light of the French allowing 11,000 mostly elderly people to
      > die of heat, Camus says, "The land of humanism has become the
      Europe