Re: [existlist] Re: Characteristics of Existence

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 192 , Sep 2, 2003
      Biggie,

      What is a "postmodernist"??

      From: "George Walton" <iambiguously@...>
      To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 8:30 AM
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Characteristics of Existence

      > Matt,
      >
      > Nothing personal, but I suspect your mind is lost because
      it doesn't really want to be found. I see that a lot in
      venues like this.

      > Or maybe I'm wrong. Just out of curiosity, how would you
      differeniate Kant from Hume from Nietzsche from Wittgenstein
      from Heidegger from Foucault respecting human moral
      interactions?

      > And philosophy is, of course, everywhere. A politician can
      be completely ignorant and uneducated like the current
      President of the United States and he is still imbued with
      the philosophical currents that impregnate human
      interactions historically. Again, it's like intellectual
      ether floating all around us. It impacts always. It's just
      that, as some existentialists and postmodernists like to
      point out, it is not a metaphysical presence so much as a
      contextual one.

      Message 192 of 192 , Mar 13, 2005
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
        wrote:
        > Eduard,
        >
        > Well, as a postmodernist might insists, "like any other word used
        to signify or represent the relationship between in my head and out
        in the world, 'postmodernism' can only be understood contextually in
        terms of particular cultures and political economies."

        > In other words, postmodernism eschews all metaphysical
        contraptions---sacred or secular. They view "reality" in brackets,
        as the manner in which different people interpret different
        circumstantial contexts. Take the word "freedom" for example.
        Mordernists thinkers [usually construed as Kant to the present]
        would attempt to wrap the definition of the word around a binary
        logo-centric ontological contraption: either/or. It was believed,
        therefore, that we could define and grasp Freedom ahistorically.
        That there was an objective, universal manner in which to encompass
        it. That freedom had nothing to do with interpretation, but could
        literally be deduced a priori by The Rational Mind.

        > Postmodernists and poststructuralists debunked that. For them,
        words like "freedom" and "justice" and "good" and "bad" and "right"
        and "wrong" were merely relative "situational interpretations" that
        flowed from the political, economic, social, cultural, and
        historical and interpersonal contexts around which their meaning
        evolved. For example, think of the American Revolutionary War. Think
        of how the monarchy in England grasped the meaning of those words
        above quite differently from most of the Colonists. Or think about
        the how the Colonists viewed the words quite apart from how the
        indigenous Indian tribes did. Or think about how Communists view the
        defintions apart from how capitalists do. Et Cetera.

        > Similarly, right now, I am writing what I think I mean and you are
        reading what you think I'm saying. That's human communication in a
        nutshell. The Modernists, however, will insists that there is an
        objective manner in which these words can be construed. The
        postmodernists, however, never stop laughing when they hear that.

        > In other words: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
        >
        > Biggie
        >
        > eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
        > Biggie,