Individual Being in Community

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      "The philosopher's invisible realm of the spirit The philosopher
      lives, as it were, in a hidden, non-objective community to which
      every philosophising person secretly longs to be admitted. Philosophy
      has no institutional reality and is not in competition with the
      church, the state, the real communities of the world. Any
      objectification, whether it be the formation of schools or sects, is
      the ruin of philosophy. For the freedom that can be attained in
      philosophising cannot be handed down by the doctrine of an
      institution. Only as an individual can man become a philosopher. From
      becoming a philosopher he can derive no claims. He must not have the
      folly to wish to be recognised as a philosopher. Professorships in
      philosophy are instituted for free mediation of ideas by teaching,
      which does not preclude their being held by philosophers (Kant,
      Hegel, Schelling). But in philosophy's realm of the spirit there is
      no objective certainty and no confirmation. In the realm of the
      spirit, men become companions-in-thought through the millennia,
      become occasions for each other to find the way to truth from their
      own source, although they cannot present each other with readymade
      truth. It is a self-development of individual in communication with
      individual. It is a development of the individual into community and
      from there to the plane of history, without breaking with
      contemporary life. It is the effort to live from and on behalf of the
      fundamental, though these become audible to him who philosophises,
      without objective certainty (as in religion), and only through
      indirect hints as possibilities in the totality of philosophy."

      "On My Philosophy" by Karl Jaspers

      "The limits are looked for, behind which there is no additional world
      and yet where not only nothingness need be. Man seeks clear
      consciousness of the possible orientation in the world by pointing
      out that Being itself never appears anywhere in the world or as the
      world, but only as fragmented being. With this presupposition of the
      consciousness of limit I am able to live with the world as with that
      about which pertinent, objective orientation is possible, and yet I
      need not surrender to the world, but I can live related to Being
      itself, which I cannot orient in the world."
      - Karl Jaspers, Philosophy and Existence

      Mary Jo