Re: [existlist] Re: Characteristics of Existence

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 192 , Aug 31 3:48 PM
      Biggie,

      Yes. Creation raises all sorts of questions. Like, -- Did
      Adam have a belly button??

      In any case, I am wondering how all this relates to
      Existentialism. Is marriage part of facticity?? Does it
      jeopardize our personal subjective existence?? I don't
      recall Sartre saying much about it. But then he did a lot
      of running around.

      Message 192 of 192 , Mar 13, 2005
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
        wrote:
        > Eduard,
        >
        > Well, as a postmodernist might insists, "like any other word used
        to signify or represent the relationship between in my head and out
        in the world, 'postmodernism' can only be understood contextually in
        terms of particular cultures and political economies."

        > In other words, postmodernism eschews all metaphysical
        contraptions---sacred or secular. They view "reality" in brackets,
        as the manner in which different people interpret different
        circumstantial contexts. Take the word "freedom" for example.
        Mordernists thinkers [usually construed as Kant to the present]
        would attempt to wrap the definition of the word around a binary
        logo-centric ontological contraption: either/or. It was believed,
        therefore, that we could define and grasp Freedom ahistorically.
        That there was an objective, universal manner in which to encompass
        it. That freedom had nothing to do with interpretation, but could
        literally be deduced a priori by The Rational Mind.

        > Postmodernists and poststructuralists debunked that. For them,
        words like "freedom" and "justice" and "good" and "bad" and "right"
        and "wrong" were merely relative "situational interpretations" that
        flowed from the political, economic, social, cultural, and
        historical and interpersonal contexts around which their meaning
        evolved. For example, think of the American Revolutionary War. Think
        of how the monarchy in England grasped the meaning of those words
        above quite differently from most of the Colonists. Or think about
        the how the Colonists viewed the words quite apart from how the
        indigenous Indian tribes did. Or think about how Communists view the
        defintions apart from how capitalists do. Et Cetera.

        > Similarly, right now, I am writing what I think I mean and you are
        reading what you think I'm saying. That's human communication in a
        nutshell. The Modernists, however, will insists that there is an
        objective manner in which these words can be construed. The
        postmodernists, however, never stop laughing when they hear that.

        > In other words: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
        >
        > Biggie
        >
        > eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
        > Biggie,