Re: [existlist] Predestination and human nature

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      David,

      It all depends upon whether you are orientated towards the
      individual or the society. In my experience, most
      philosophers tend towards the individual -- probably because
      it supports their own thinking.

      But ultimately, the purpose of the individual is to support
      and foster the enhancement of the society. This may be done
      with self-interest but the result is for the society. You
      can extend this [for the 21st century] to the global
      community.

      It is not a matter that, "The only thing that a person can
      do is just "kick back" and enjoy the ride". From an
      Existentialist point of view, we act as individuals, but
      there is a responsibility to choose our actions in view of
      the larger society. Kicking back and enjoying the ride does
      not sound to be like responsible behaviour. In my humble
      opinion.