Re: Facticity

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2003
      Zith,

      Thanks. "When you realize . . ." is what's important. People have to
      be educated about choices and free will. In our society the essential
      meaning of what has become a mere slogan, is very important. If
      children are properly educated about free will and responsibility,
      they have a greater chance of avoiding or breaking free from negative
      facticities. I've observed that the human species is very childlike
      in that it is easily prey to suggestion and emotional vulnerability.
      We are imprinted behaviorily as children; indoctrinated by
      advertising; brainwashed by the media's hysteria; entranced by
      television and movies' fairy tales; and thus the difficulties of free
      will. Often it's a trauma or dramatic change of circumstances that
      can liberate us from facticity. We are predisposed to react, both
      biologically and mentally, and that keeps us a prisoner rather than
      an adventurer. Yes, a heavy dose of education at an early age is
      critical, as well as mature parents who provide environments
      conducive to such freedom.

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Zithromax" <zithromax@s...> wrote:
      > If you had absolute, total amnesia (as in the book/movie "Bourne
      Identity") it is possible that you would not know that you are a
      canadian bluenoser nor retain any cultural predispositions towards
      gender roles. In such a situation who you are is independent of
      facticity. Facticity can influence us, obviously. For example if we
      have plenty of cash we could act differently than if we are
      impoverished, e.g. we may not have the free will to buy a
      lamborghini. However, I think that when Heidegger or Sartre talk
      about Facticity they are really saying that free will and accepting
      responsibility for our actions frees us from a prison of
      facticities. When you realize that who you are is based on the
      decisions you make independently of things like gender, age, and
      birth then you realize your free will, and a deeper understanding of
      who you are. I think this is why some people enjoy primitive
      camping, rock climbing, and survivalish stuff. Such activities can
      represent a choice to radically change facticity, if only for a
      weekend, and in taking on nature we can better understand ourselves.

      > Zith

      over which you have no control, such as time and place of birth, sex,
      etc. We are, all of us, born into an absolutely free existence (for
      Sartre), but all of us are born into a situation of some sort, and
      our facticity is the way Sartre describes this element of being born
      into situation.

      > I'm a female, Canadian bluenoser born in 1967. This I cannot
      change about myself, no matter what I try to do. This is the
      facticity of my existence.

      > My absolute freedom comes into play in the sense that I am the
      only one who ultimately has contol over the attitude I take toward
      this particular, canadian, female, nova scotian, situation I find
      myself in.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.