Re: [existlist] Patriarchy

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 20, 2003
      Lorna,

      > The 'boys club' is a challenge for everyone to overcome -
      except the boys! I didn't experience sexism first hand until
      becoming a permanent member of the work force. The
      university scene is a very level playing field for men and
      women - maybe spending so much time there made the work
      force seem to me like such a slow moving machine of sorts,
      kinda like the church!

      That is precisely the point. The boys are those of the club
      and if you are not part of the club, then it does not matter
      what sex you are.

      I realise that things are not that easy for women. What I
      am objecting to is this idea that there is some kind of
      "Patriachy" which is purposely setting up barriers. I
      understand that there has been a cultural thing here. All
      you have to do is to watch some TV show from the 50s or 60s
      and you can see it. In fact some of these shows are
      repugnant. A case in point is the Jackie Gleason show. At
      the time, it seemed humourous, but now I cant watch it
      because of women were treated.

      But there has been a change in attitude. Women have entered
      the work force in many ways. Perhaps it is a matter of
      waiting for a critical mass. I think that it does a
      disservice -- especially for young women who are yet in
      school -- to foster the impression that there is some kind
      of conspiracy on the part of men that will restrict their
      advancement.

      eduard
    • eduard at home
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 20, 2003