the brain as a conveyor belt

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      --MATT_C,

      Yes, it would be an interesting subject. "Point B" would be
      considered something like a repository for conclusions of
      the brain. Sort of like the way that a processor of a
      milling machine might take in data as to position of the
      object, size and required hole, and then cause servomotors
      to act and do the drilling. The question, however, with
      respect to the brain, is how does it provide a "thought
      package" which we as humans can act upon??

      I should think that if it is some desired action, then the
      brain provides us [at point B] with some visualization of
      what we should do. For example, I need to put some oil in
      the old lawn tractor, so I am visualizing those bottles of
      oil and the port into which it is to be poured. All of this
      is in my mind as a picture and I need only act on certain
      elements in order to do the job. But then my brain has also
      served up a picture of my driving down the highway to go
      shopping in the mall. Which picture I choose to follow is
      dependent upon how lazy I am.

      To describe how we come up with speech is a more difficult
      chore. Do we visualize speech and simply read it like a
      book?? The best I can come up with is that the brain -- in
      enabling speech -- provides us with short "scripts" that
      represent ideas and when we talk, it is a matter of
      following these scripts. For example, if I were to say,
      "Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow",
      perhaps I am running the scripts of ... mary ... lamb ...
      fleece ... white ... snow. In order to turn these ideas
      into speech requires training, both to run them together and
      to maintain the rhyme.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        Duh Duard,

        if the brain is only a mechanism which processes information exactly like a computer,
        what is the mechanism there that tells you to respond to another message with yet
        another ill-fated diatribe?

        Pussas Pudenda