Re: [existlist] Mary Jo was "Tom Clark"

  • Mattlzpf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      >> Our egos or self interest are not necessarily bad, just a reflection of
      our true >>nature, individual, unique, alien if you will.

      I may ask you a question of ethics then--is there any basic ethics that we
      should follow? If there isn't, then what would make our egos or self interest
      bad, or even good for that matter? Do not forget that how ever individual
      one's self interest may be, humans are part of communities that act in the
      interest of the whole (a community with multiple interests).

      >>>Don't all of our problems in life stem from our inability to communicate
      with one >>>another?

      Many times that seems to be the case.

      >>>When the chips are down, we all want what we want when we want it.

      What chips? This statement is vague. There is much more behind this than
      you'll have us all believe. If you mean that we don't have control over our
      desires, then logic and reasoning are useless to us. You are also forgetting
      human's ability to sacrifice for the greater good, again this comes to a question
      of ethics.

      --MATT_C
    • Mary Jo Malo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        Pretty sure I wasn't "Tom Clark".

        I would say that ethics should be based on ultimate truth, but in the
        absence of such, I shouldn't kill someone (Even that becomes
        situational, doesn't it?) I try with all my being not to hurt people.
        I believe the only ethic is love, but knowing how to express love for
        each person or a community is difficult. I challenge anyone to tell
        me that they know for sure what is right for someone. Community is
        the most difficult task for the individual, isn't it? We want to be
        connected in varying degrees, and we compromise to survive and stay
        sane. Should we compromise? It depends on what you think you know.

        What I would "have you believe" is that when situations become
        critical, people discover or insist on what they really want or need.
        Most conflicts involve this issue, personally or collectively.

        Some people have control over their desires, some don't. Whose
        qualified to decide which ones we should control? Logic and reason
        are helpful in determining this for ourselves. Still we could be
        wrong.
        Relativism and situational ethics are scary for many people. Society
        needs some structure, but how much is too much?

        I never forget humanity's ability to sacrifice for the greater good.
        T Let's not forget the phenomenal story: the sacrifice of Jesus. Self-
        sacrifice has been my personal lifestyle. One needs to be sure of
        what really is the greater good. Should we sacrifice? Is it for the
        greater good? Who can decide, if not you? Consensus makes us feel
        safe, and perhaps agreement is ultimately what connects us to people.
        I'm only saying we should be careful about what we're agreeing to.

        Mary Jo