Re: [existlist] I agree... yes and no!

  • Mattlzpf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
      Let me end your rant of misinformation. There is a famous photograph of
      Hitler staring eyeball-to-eyeball at a bust of Nietzsche in the Nietzsche
      Archive in Weimar in 1934. But let us remind ourselves that there is little to
      support such suspicions of "backward causation." Even if Hitler did accept or
      adopt some ideas of Nietzsche's (and we have no evidence that he actually read
      much of Nietzsche's work) it does not follow that Nietzsche is responsible for
      what Hitler did with those ideas. (Likewise, a philosopher such as Hegel is
      not responsible for the use of some of his political ideas by the Italian
      dictator and former philosophy professor Benito Mussolini, as Karl Marx was not
      responsible for the Soviet monster Joseph Stalin).
      Further, what he praised was the mixing of races, not the "racial purity"
      idealized by the Nazis. Nietzsche even went out of his way to ridicule the
      Germans and their "Aryan" pretensions to racial superiority. The "blond beast"
      he famously refers to is just that-a lion, the "king of the jungle," not the
      blond-haired German soldier of Nazi iconography. Whatever else he might have
      thought of them, Nietzsche did not think the Germans were either super-men or
      masters.
      Once again, an author is not responsible for vile misreadings of his
      works. So, to put your fears to rest, Nietzsche was not a fascist, anti-Semite,
      inspirer of Nazism, woman hater, and was not crazy. Those who attempt to make
      the case that Nietzsche was mad while he was still writing typically interpret
      his hyperbole and bombast as indications of delusions of grandeur. But
      Nietzsche was a masterful and uninhibited wit, and irony as a form of
      philosophizing had its precedents.
      If you would like to read Nietzsche's works I would suggest getting
      editions translated by the Dr. Walter Kaufmann (although the German texts are the
      most preferable reading material) and reading up on Nietzsche, the man, to gain
      a deeper understanding of his philosophy.

      --MATT_C

      Yes N. was brutalized by his sis!
      Psychoanalysis of N. was done recently thu. I'll find the source book soon!
      It's lying somewhere! He Was diagnosed with "schizophrenia - paranoia".
      Nothing wrong with that, really! Above all, It's hard to judge any if we
      consider background circumstances. Even it's hard to judge Hitler in that
      manner! Sometime in life, it's hard to tell the aggressor from the
      victim!!!!... But but to agree with N. ( who inspired Nazism) and Hitler
      that's a different matter...
      drQ