Re: Existential Therapy

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
      CSW,

      Thanks for the information. Here's a portion of something I just read
      about him:

      Viktor Frankl at Ninety:
      An Interview

      Matthew Scully

      Copyright (c) 1995 First Things 52 (April 1995): 39-43.

      Frankl is the rare intellectual called to live out his theories, and
      then rewarded against staggering odds for his faithfulness. Man's
      Search for Meaning itself attests to his notion of hyperintention.
      Had he used the visa and the excuse of professional obligation he
      would not be the same compelling witness. The camps, he wrote, reveal
      man much as Freud and others had described him-a creature driven by
      ego and instinct and sublimated drives. But they reveal something
      even more fundamental-our defining "capacity for self-
      transcendence." "Man is that being who invented the gas chambers of
      Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those chambers
      upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."
      Frankl-who in the early thirties coined the word "existentialism"-is
      the man who reminded modern psychology of one detail it had
      overlooked, the patient's soul.

      Matthew Scully, a former Literary Editor for National Review and
      speechwriter for Vice President Dan Quayle, is a writer living in
      Arlington, Virginia.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "C. S. Wyatt" <existlist1@t...>