Death, Nothing, and Subjectivity by Tom Clark

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      This is an interesting paper at the "Dictionary of the Philosophy of
      Mind" website and deals with these three subjects previously
      discussed in this group. It takes a little clicking to get to the
      actual paper.

      1. Go to this URL:
      2. Click on the "Index" tab at the top of the page.
      3. In the alphabetical index click on "consciousness"
      4. Click on "Consciousness Papers On-line
      5. Scroll down to "Philosophy of Consciousness, Misc."
      6. Find the paper entitled "Death, Nothing and Subjectivity"

      If I understand Clark correctly, he believes in the biological
      explanation of self-awareness; believes everyone has a subjective
      experience; we can't know what came before birth or what comes after
      death; but that our subjective experience of life is continuous. It's
      an interesting synthesis. He also doesn't believe there is a nothing
      from which we appeared or a nothing which we enter upon death. Tom
      Clark is a self-proclaimed "Naturalist".

      Please forgive me if any of this has been referenced before.

      Mary Jo
    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
        Mary Jo,

        Is Tom Clark dead?? From what you describe, I like his
        philosophy, albeit I would disinclined to apply a label --
        i.e. "Naturalist".

        There is nothing special about humans. They live and die,
        just like the rest of the life in the biosphere. The only
        thing that might be considered special is their
        self-awareness, but this is only a result of large brain
        size.

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders
        to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your
        brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/ACsqlB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Mary Jo Malo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
          eduard,

          I'm sorry. I forgot to list the URL, didn't I. Here it is:

          http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/main.html

          His website appears to be active. I assume he's alive.

          http://naturalism.org/

          Mary Jo

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
              Mary Jo,

              The second URL should be:

              http://www.naturalism.org/

              > I'm sorry. I forgot to list the URL, didn't I. Here it is:
              >
              > http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/main.html
              >
              > His website appears to be active. I assume he's alive.
              >
              > http://naturalism.org/
              >
              > Mary Jo
              >
              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home
              <yeoman@v...> wrote:
              > > Mary Jo,
              > >
              > > Is Tom Clark dead?? From what you describe, I like his
              > > philosophy, albeit I would disinclined to apply a
              label --
              > > i.e. "Naturalist".
              > >
              > > There is nothing special about humans. They live and
              die,
              > > just like the rest of the life in the biosphere. The
              only
              > > thing that might be considered special is their
              > > self-awareness, but this is only a result of large brain
              > > size.
              > >
              > > eduard

            • Knott
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
                > There is nothing special about humans... The only
                > thing that might be considered special is their
                > self-awareness, but this is only a result of large brain
                > size.

                Hmmm. so there are no animals with self awareness now in your special world?
                Considering brain size, I do believe we lose to several species of whale. The following
                from: http://www.highnorth.no/Library/Myths/br-si-bo.htm

                Species Brain weight Body weight Brain weight %

                Man 1500 0,07 2,1
                Bottlenose dolphin 1600 0,17 0,94
                Dolphin 840 0,11 0,74
                Asian elephant 7500 5,0 0,15
                Killer whale 5620 6,0 0,094
                Cow 500 0,5 0,1
                Pilot whale 2670 3,5 0,076
                Sperm whale 7820 37,0 0,021
                Fin whale 6930 90,0 0,008
                Mouse 0,4 0,000,012 3,2

                Interesting. Even a bottle-nose dolphin has a larger brain than 'Duard. Perhaps it is
                more accurate with facts and can understand something when it reads it. If you'd like
                to compare brain size to body mass, the mouse beats us out. This would suggest that
                both Elephants and whales are smarter than man...either that or a mouse is. At least
                it seems they have the brains to generally live in peace (from what I know that has
                been observed). Considering the theory of duard they are also several times more
                self-aware.

                However, I am sure 'Duard will finance a great divergence from these measurements
                via twisted statistical analysis, and will also claim I am not saying anything whatever,
                and that the facts (which apparently he loves only when he makes them up off the top
                of his head) are somehow wrong when compared to his great studies of limping
                gnats, lunatic dux, and other paltry poultry.

                I regret that snails were not included in this study.

                Imabottle Knosdolpin Hokay