Dangling carrot

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
      I have worked hard enough in life to earn some very good times. It
      was not luck or inheritance, it was a matter of hard work. Were it
      not for the chance at a clean ride out I would stop working
      immedately and go on with the business of being happy. The system is
      built to keep effort forthcoming by promise of future reward. In
      that regard I am still a player. I suppose a great luxury for me
      would be to schedual my own activities. At the present others seek me
      out every half hour. After 32 years the compliment of trust is
      overshadowed by the constant invasion of privacy. I have come to
      enjoy solitude. When that need overshadows my greed I will change
      into my final life mode. I am now more comfortable with the language
      of the end game. Fall looks to winter and sees the ineviatable.
      Over the weekend a friend died of cancer at 56. It was probably
      related to carcinogens from his Viet Nam service. There was no family
      history of carcinoma and his parents will outlive him. He will be
      buried at Arlington but as the song says" Gravestones cheer the
      living, dear, they are no good to the dead."
    • yeoman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
        Bill,

        Yes, things are inevitable. That is why they say, "Don't
        sweat the small stuff". There just isn't enough time to do
        it all. Perhaps it may look like it when you are young, but
        there is a different view when you have covered more than
        half the dock ....

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->

        http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • leeedgartyler@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
          In a message dated 7/8/2003 2:53:19 PM Central Standard Time,
          valleywestdental@... writes:
[...]
          I've been going through those changes myself. It reminds me of something my
          father said not long before he died from a heart attack at 56: "They tell you
          that time is money, but it's not. Money is time." Five years ago I did not
          want to retire, ever, and certainly not before 72. After all, I really enjoy
          my work and in one way or another will keep at it all my life--but as long as
          I'm drawing the salary I'm obliged to trade what's left of my time for it.

          So five years ago I'd have stayed at my job for at least another 20 years.
          But now it's more likely I'll retire at 56 and spend the rest of my days trout
          fishing and chasing my wife around the house nude with a water pistol. Of
          course that still keeps me in the game for another several years.

          Ed Tyler