Montana

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
      The discussion on illusion relates to the areas of inspection I
      recently enjoyed. I first visited a paleoindian dig. The date of
      the lowest strata of the dig was 1000AD. Primative maze agriculture
      was being practised. These people were on the transition between
      hunter gatherers and paleofarmers. Pottery ornamentation was sparse
      and very simplistic. Their petrogliphs told a great deal about the
      complexity of their illusions. At first glance they could be
      mistaken for preschoool crayon works. They were stick figures but
      much more was going on. The lines themselves had subtle and complex
      curves. The stick men and animals had style and personality.It was
      obvious that their maker had looked deeply into the form of his
      subjects and represented them in depiction of complex illusion. The
      subjects were buffalo, deer and man. Indeed, had I seen these in an
      art gallery I might have thought them to be a sparse cubeism of
      modern origin.This site was inhabited for over 800 years and little
      changed except the addition of beans, peppers and squash to the
      agricultural production. The pictorial depection of personal
      illusions changed little. It seems since the group was relatively
      safe and stable there was little cultural or conceptual change.
      At the Little Bighorn battle site I was able to speak with a Crow
      medicine man. He was a vastly more complex fellow than our
      paleofarmer. He gave me a new insight into native american
      spirtual life. There is a mindset of commonality with the animal
      nation, the plant nation and the sky, water and land. He sees himself
      as an individual part of this whole. He uses ritual to reinforce his
      position within this framework of life. The Crow are one of the few
      tribes of plaines indians to retain their native lands. This was a
      result of their alliance with the early Euorpeans. This happned
      because the Sioux, Aricara, and Cheyanne had been pushed from their
      lands and were fighting the Crow for ancestral Crow lands. Many of
      Custers scouts were Crow and died with him. His mindset of
      commonality allows him to be a Catholic and as I explained
      existentialism to him he found it perfectly acceptable as a new part
      of his great commonality.
      Later I purchased a modern native American drawing from a Lacota
      Sioux artist. He says when he draws he enters the vision world of
      his people. I watched him work without models as he produced work
      wonderfully similar to the paleofarmers petrogliphs. The buffalo, the
      eagle, the horse become the cubist left side of his own self
      picture. They are part of his illusion as well as part of the whole
      of his reality. For him both illusion and reality are a seamless
      whole. It was a great experience and now his mystic drawing hangs on
      my office wall. These people are deep and talented.
    • yeoman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
        Bill,

        I like your statement that, "For him both illusion and
        reality are a seamless whole". I simply extended the idea
        to say that if it is seamless, then it might as well be all
        illusion.

        > The discussion on illusion relates to the areas of
        inspection I
        > recently enjoyed. I first visited a paleoindian dig.

        etc....