Re: [existlist] It's all an illusion

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 7, 2003
      Big,

      I was driving home today from work, on a two lane road. I
      pulled out to pass on a two lane road and because there was
      some construction activity on the right side of the road, I
      stayed in the left lane for longer than usual. I did not
      feel a need to pull back into the right lane as I appeared
      to be following a truck that was doing the same passing
      routine as myself. My assumption about the truck was due to
      the fact that all new vehicles in Canada made so that the
      headlights remain on during the day. It took a moment to
      realise that I was not following a truck, but rather I was
      closing in on a old truck which did not have its headlights
      on. By the way, it wasn't that close and I am still alive.

      The point is that the scene which I had before me, included
      the illusion that I was following a truck, rather than
      headed into one.

      The same can be said for starving children. We have before
      us the scene of seeming plentiful food, yet within that
      scene some children are starving. But we do not really see
      them as starving. They are simply statistics that are
      revealed by some international organization. The illusion
      is that everything is Ok with our world, until we see the
      statistics.

      Or the illusion might be that this is a problem of the
      agribusiness or people who do not eat everything on their
      plates at restaurants.

      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 11, 2003
        Eduard,

        Cynicism is, of course, everywhere. And, for the most part, it comes in 2 flavors: reflectivie and non-reflective.

        Reflective cynicsm is derived from an understanding that the relationships between "I" and "we" and all that is "other" are so immensely complex, convoluted and inextricable [while, concommitantly, being ceaselessly constructed, deconstructed and reconstructed over and again into differeing permutations from the cradle to the grave] that, for one individual to have more than just a superficial or [in most cases] superfluous effect on the whole, is enormously unlikely. And even if you attain a position of power that can, indeed, reverberate consequences around the world, you are still stuck with devising a policy that will not be roundly condemned by many others and from many different points of view. And, of course, with no way to reconcile them so as to construe the most reasoanable or ethical aggenda of all. In that context, most cynics [and I include myself among them] do what they can on the local level, contribute what they can to those who act on the higher levels and then
        watch what unfolds "in reality". Afterwards, of course, squabbling endlessly with others [like we are now] over what exactly "reality" consists of.

        Non-reflective cynicism revolves around the rest of the folks in the so-called "Western Industrial Nations" who go about living their lives from day to day largely oblivious to The Big Questions, either because they are too absorbed in the practical realities of living their lives or because they are too absorbed as modern day epicurians in feasting on all the pleasurable distractions there are to be had when the big bucks are, in fact, there. Their cynicism reflected in the distance they maintain between people like us who openly think about and discuss these things cynically.

        Then, again, there are the millions upon millions of folks who are so embedded from day to day in their own precarious "nasty, brutish and short" existences, that the only time they give the matter much thought [aside from religious reflection] is when they subsume their cynicism in the political struggle to change things. But here, of course, we are talking about a kind of integrity and courage that is not really all that relevant to folks like you and I, eh?

        Yes, I agree that "consideration for others" is less and less a part of the world we live in. I have, in fact, concocted a theory about it regarding the proliferating "Pop Culture Consumer" mentality that is rampaging across the globe. I call it "pathological selfishness". In other words, distinguishing it from the more conventional kind.

        Conventional selfishness at least considers how the consequences of our behaviors might adversly effect others. It just largely ignores them. Pathological selfishness, on the other hand, does not really factor in other folks at all. It becomes, in effect: "what do I want and how do I get it." We only consider others when they deign to tap us on the shoulder to object. That's when most just transfigure it back into the more conventional aggenda, right?

        Which attittude, I wonder, is more pernicious? And, of course, being myself profoundly cynical I have to wonder if "pernicious" is even the right word. In other words: "Says who?"

        Biggie

        yeoman <yeoman@...> wrote:
        Biggie,

        I agree with your assessment of American foreign policy. It
        is quite true that the motives are based upon who has the
        most influence in Washington. I should think that the
        United Fruit Company did not appreciate the possible coming
        of a democratic regime and would have sought Washington
        support for putting a friendly dictator in place. Look at
        Cuba. A lot of the prejudice against Fidel may well find
        its origin in the moneyed interests on the Island that found
        a friend in Baptista.

        But then I am a bit cynical about the whole thing. People
        complain about what is happening outside and yet they are
        not prepared to take steps of their own at the individual
        level. I think that it would be of benefit if people here
        would only do some small kind thing, like not taking up two
        spots in the parking lot.

        I was buying groceries today and went to the quickie cash
        [12 items or less]. There was a woman in front of me and a
        man in front of her. The man looked back and saw that she
        had several items, so he moved his stuff forward and put
        down that separator bar so that she could have room to put
        her load. So what does she do -- she puts her stuff down
        and uses up the entire conveyor without even considering for
        the moment that I could also some space.

        There is an old 1940s movie [which I cant seem to find]
        wherein Sydney Greenstreet has this line -- "There isn't
        enough consideration in the world". I think that is fairly
        accurate for our state today. There isn't enough
        consideration for others. Perhaps there are children
        starving in the world, but a bit of niceness in our own
        backyard would go a long way.