Re: [existlist] Is anyone out there??

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
      Susan,

      It is hot and humid here. Toronto has all the smog ... it's
      not allowed in Ottawa.

      I am watching DVDs on my computer. Right now it is
      Casablanca with the French audio track. They just cant dub
      Bogart's correctly in French.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
        Eduard -

        I've been busy doing genealogy research lately. I've stumbled into the
        gold mine that is the IGI and GROS records via the ScotsOrigins.com and
        Scotlandspeople.gov.uk sites. I've just pushed the information on my
        mother's side of the family (from West Lothian and Linlithgowshire,
        Scotland) back several generations. They have so much information
        available online now, including digital scans of birth and marriage
        register entries that it's amazing. :) If I'd had to wait until I could
        travel to Scotland for these records, I'd never find anything out!

        As for free time and DVD watching, I must confess to watching nothing
        remotely as classic as Casablanca (though we do have it here on VHS). I
        watched X-Men on DVD last night and turned on the surround sound
        speakers. What a difference! Not mentally elevating, but nicely done
        all the same. I like the themes of humanity and in-humanity discussed
        in this serious of movies.

        I just wish they'd done a better job with the book versions. The books
        could have been so much better... no one seems to care about movie
        novelizations anymore. They try to appeal to the same shallow audience
        that watches the movies instead of trying to expand upon the themes in
        the movies and flesh out the stories, characters, and underlying plots.

        About as classic as I've made movie watching lately is old James Bond
        and A&E's presentation of Pride and Prejudice. <G>

        I've been considering writing a serious of 'articles' and commentary on
        life as I've been reading about it and seeing it, but haven't done it
        yet. I keep writing the stuff in my head, and it sounds great, but
        haven't been able to sit down in front of a computer to get it on
        paper. By the time I make it to the computer, the thoughts are lost. On
        of these days the timing will be right and I'll get it on paper and
        posted to my private site.

        So, as moderator, should I slap my own wrist for being off topic? :)

        Cheers, ;)
        Susan

      • yeoman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
          Susan,

          Hmmm ... genealogy ... on an Existentialist site!! Isn't
          that something like a member of a weight watchers club being
          found with a piece of chocolate??

          I watch videos on my computer monitor. I have one of those
          TV cards so I can watch it as I am typing. I find it funny
          when I go to the mall and see all those huge TV screens that
          you can buy. People are trying to get something as big as
          possible like up to 48" and more. In effect, my TV screen
          is something like 2" by 2". It kinda helps to watch
          classics, since I already know what the picture is all
          about. However, I am primarily interested in the sound, in
          order to improve my French.

          I am constantly trying to get my philosophy down in some
          form. Typing on a computer seems to be out of place. I
          should go out in the back yard with quill and ink. But then
          I would probably get interested in the chipmunks and
          squirrels.

          I have been waiting all day for Yvon to bring over my riding
          lawn mower. I bent the blade on some rock, so now all I can
          do is watch the grass get longer. I am totally lost without
          my toys.