The self

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 27, 2003
      I use science to ground myself in the world. It answers the three
      classical questions of philosophy. Who am I, Where did I come from,
      Where am I going?Should I answer the first question: I am a child of
      god and heir of heaven, or, I am a Roman citizen and servant of the
      emperior, or, I am a member of the species Homo Sapien of the order
      Primatea, the rest of my existence is forever changed.
      Existentialism does not attempt to deal with these basic questions
      from an objective viewpoint. Dasein, being in the world, ect are
      introspective concepts. " Thrown into the world" is not an answer to
      the secound question but a subjective view of the human situation.
      The ability to answer the great questions with certainty was not
      possible in the time of the inception of existentialism. The early
      existentialism was not knowledge based it was concept based. The
      concepts were mental constructs of brillient and hard thinking men,
      yet now we have better answers to basic questions. I am not saying
      science replaces existentialisn, it augments and completes the
      movement. To restrict existentialism to some number of prima facia
      philosophers and closed concepts does a disservice to both past and
      present thinkers. When I think of existentialism as a bridge from
      the old faith based philosophies, I think of an open bridge that
      allows access to all the new fields of knowledge beyond. Bill