Re: Quid pro Quo

  • Will Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2003
      Bill, thank you for your short answers. A comment on the below. You
      said: "Existentialism, the philosophy of the individual, permits one
      to personally value other things."

      I would define existentialism as referring to the relation of one to
      oneself and not as the philosophy of the individual, for that
      definition could fit something as far a field as Objectivism. I would
      say that the existential is an understanding of one's own
      Weltanschauung, which must, perforce, include the reflection upon
      oneself in it.

      I would suspect, given that we cannot agree on what the term means,
      that the term can only be appropriated individually, which means it
      cannot be used for the truth of the matter, but only as a basis for an
      opinion.