Re: Philosophy

  • Joanne
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2003
      <existlist1@t...> wrote:

      > While we are busy deconstructing life, the Continental schools are
      > suggesting we live life.
      >
      > Of course, there is the paradox Jaspers noted: even discussing
      > philosophy contradicts the notion of living actively and enjoying
      life
      > as it is.
      -------------------
      No it doesn't. We live every second until the body can no longer hold
      itself together as a viable organism. What we do in between
      conception and death is living, whether we are intrepid scholars
      preoccupied with Kantian universals, or strippers wiggling a piece of
      ass at an otherwise decorous nightclub.

      What you are trying to distinguish is how we experience sensation,
      which is irrelevant: I cannot strip tease because I have limited
      motor function and cannot walk, but I know when I'm going to have a
      bowel movement in my wheelchair due to lack of control, and will have
      to clean it up.

      Same difference. It is living. An oogled buttock, a passage of
      excrement in the improper recepticle.

      Joanne
    • Joanne
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2003
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joanne" <jozanny@y...> wrote:
        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Exist List Moderator
        > <existlist1@t...> wrote:

        > Same difference. It is living. An oogled buttock, a passage of
        > excrement in the improper recepticle.
        >
        > Joanne
        --------
        The absurdity comes into it not because of existence, but the self-
        awareness of existence. Consciousness is a biological complexity
        which may be an inevitable evolutionary fluke which isn't necessary
        for life, this unique fashion in which matter organized, but at the
        moment, we're the creatures stuck with it for brief intervals.

        It makes no quantitative difference whether I climb Everest or sleep
        in the street. I experience the condition of each. No one has proven
        this matters beyond point of cessation
      • vickieyoungmays
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
          I am new here, but I was looking forward to discussing one of my greatest loves;
          pholosophy. But there is too much crazy off topic banter. Can we agree on a subject
          or perhaps something to read and have a nice discussion. Anyone have any
          suggetions?

          I would love to tackle the intro to Being and TIme

          I hope I have not offended anyone. I am looking forward to colorful conversations
          regarding existential thought.

          Best Wishes-
          Vickie
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
            Vickie,

            One woman's off-topic banter is another man's subjectivity. For
            years I immersed myself in the works of Kierkegaard and Nietzsche,
            and struggled at the same time to make my way in the world, humanly,
            economically, and in relation to the political realms, all that
            horror and sham and false hope mixed with earnest effort. Not good
            to dwell on what no human being can face for long. George Walton
            states the case starkly now and again, and each philosopher here has
            a unique perspective. Sometimes good argument and progress arise
            from serendipity. The planned approach is favoured by bureaucratic
            systems, and done well can yield excellent results. I simply don't
            trust it beyond a particular scale of organisation. That's my
            radical democratic liberal heritage coming out.
            So whilst I am myself a woman, a certain form of 'identification'
            with these and other 'biologically dead' thinkers informs my
            subjectivity, and this masculinity of approach in my philosophising
            has led some ignorantly to attempt Freudian-style analysis of what I
            am. My own interpretation of what scientifically is named pathology
            allows for observaton of socio-political factors, which always
            include economics. Therefore the panoply of concepts like 'penis-
            envy', 'castration complex', and so on, which have seemed to form a
            spooky backdrop to interchanges here, as a few lurking members
            apparently bombard the moderator and listowner with complaints, is
            one which has aroused in me high impatience. Now I've got the hang
            of things, so to speak, any subsequent battles involving my posts
            can soon be defused, by the combination of silence, reasoned
            argument, and humour which are one's only defences in these
            situations. What tack Nolan will take I do not know. I simply wish
            to welcome him here and offer respectful help in staying within the
            posted rules. There is continuing disagreement among us as to what
            constitutes existential philosophy. If it weren't so, the list
            might have to close down for lack of interest ...
            Speaking for myself, I lack detailed scientific knowledge, and avoid
            engagement with scientific-existential mixes on the principle that I
            lack the requisite expertise and am sceptical of the linkage ... as
            was Kierkegaard; in fact, that's putting it mildly. I have spent a
            year trying to stay on my feet, so as to speak to the purpose. I
            intend to continue. With many threads we weave our tapestry.

            Louise

            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "vickieyoungmays"
            <vickieyoungmays@y...> wrote:

            > I am new here, but I was looking forward to discussing one of my
            greatest loves;
            > pholosophy. But there is too much crazy off topic banter. Can we
            agree on a subject
            > or perhaps something to read and have a nice discussion. Anyone
            have any
            > suggetions?
            >
            > I would love to tackle the intro to Being and TIme
            >
            > I hope I have not offended anyone. I am looking forward to
            colorful conversations
            > regarding existential thought.
            >
            > Best Wishes-
            > Vickie
          • Susan Schnelbach
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
              Be patient with the group, Vickie. They don't always stay on topic, but
              they do eventually get back to it. Thanks for participating.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                Never goes away. In most ancient guise, mineral, unhurt by
                disregard. The younger gods, goddesses, iconic animals, may be prone
                to slight. Anyway, it's all light. Burdens an illusion. Easy to say
                if all we do is say. Human beings get offended by saying. Is it any
                wonder if we don't proceed to communication. I know now I'm speaking
                to myself. Doesn't hurt that much. There are other realities, and
                imaginations, that hurt, including the body, of course. It's stopped
                raining. Time changes all things. Time is love. I've decided to get
                into cliches. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Do the things that
                aren't illegal. Stay free, help the imprisoned. More slogans. One
                day, we might form a party. Stories are lies, facts are partial,
                images bring endless trouble. I like truth. No need to believe.
                Just think it over.

                Louise
              • dick.richardson@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Philosophy

                  Philosophy is NOT about reading books, nor inventing ideas and then
                  letting them rip on to the world. It is about studying yourself for many
                  years (psychology) and the world (physics and phenomenology) and then
                  writing your own books and essays of your life understanding thus far.
                  And folks can do with that what they will; for they are not all at the
                  same place at the same time in the learning process; which is
                  evolutionary. Folks who pick up a few philosophy books who call
                  themselves philosophers are the biggest joke on earth.

                  If one wants to study the history of human understanding and philosophy
                  in purely academic terms without getting involved in writing your own
                  (because it is an evolutionary process) then begin with Plato (or
                  earlier) and then work forward, one step at a time. And there is no
                  damned point in writing what has already been written by somebody. Even
                  if just reading then one day something may hit you and you know damn
                  well that you can add something new to that – then go for it; for
                  that is what philosophy IS. But don't waste your time and effort on
                  inventing the wheel, for it has been done.