Re: [existlist] Re: Science fiction, fictional science, rational decision, irrational mind

  • William Harris
    Message 1 of 96 , May 23, 2001
      Bookdoc, I think empiricism is the true base for existentialism. A
      phenominological examination of a situation must rely on sense knowledge as a
      base for analysis. I see science and existentialism working togeather easily
      since they both demand a rational, empirical base. Bill

      thebookdoc@... wrote:

      > <<Let me ask you something - Do your thoughts exist ? Do your dreams
      > exist ? Do they not influence reality in vast amount ? ... O' I cant
      > help this - Noone including you have ever seen, touched, smelled,
      > heard or felt your brain - do your brain not exist ?>>
      >
      > It seems to me this jumps over a more fundamental problem in that I
      > don't think you can be sure of anything as you may be deceived by
      > perception and other factors. I don't want to rehash that. I guess it
      > depends on how much you are willing to swallow.
      >
      > I'd look for a good definition of 'exists.' As it would seem while my
      > dreams might exist, that it is impossible to a) prove they do, and b)
      > separate them from reality.
      >
      > I don't think this is all as obvious as many would like it to be.
      >
      > halfa.brain.in.vat.will.travel

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 96 of 96 , Jun 4, 2001
        folks,

        i agree with Greg ... the Hammurabi code has 282 laws ...

        i have yet to see " #275. If any one hire a ferryboat, he shall pay three
        gerahs in money per day.", in the Quebec civil code ... but i could be
        mistaken ...

        have fun (but dont do #15) ...