Re: [existlist] Overrun by the practical.

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 2, 2003
      Bill,

      It is easy to pick out isolated issues and show that a
      social orientation is deficient. But the reality is that
      the society is of prime importance [perhaps the only
      importance] and the individual is only of importance to
      himself/herself.

      Love you ... but you are getting a bit radical there Bill

      Message 53 of 53 , Jun 26, 2003
        Biggie, I want to respone to some of the things you have said here,
        and I will get around to do it, but I am letting it ferment a bit. I
        think we might be in the same playing field here with the change from
        Me to the "me".

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...> wrote:
        > Eduard,
        >
        > All I am attempting to suggest here is that, when you make a
        particular choice in the "here and now", you recognize, in turn, the
        problematic nature of the existential context out of which you might
        possibly have chosen alternative choices. Most folks who embrace
        existentialism are more than willing to concede that, when Sartre
        noted [ontologically rather than circumstantially] "hell is other
        people" he was ascribing the manner in which others tend to objectify
        us in our relationships with them. My point is merely to take that
        point out a lot farther on the philosophical limb by suggesting, in
        turn, that we tend to objectify our own view of reality. Also, that,
        in the absense of an omniscient and omnipotent vantage point [which
        most call God], all moral evaluations [by mere mortals] are
        essentially interchangable. The consequence of this, of course, once
        it is acknowledged, is very, very profound---especially regarding
        actual human moral interactions. In other words, all things are
        > permitted [ethically] because all things can be rationalized as
        ethical, existentially. Look at Hitler, for example. He was able to
        rationalize genocide!!

        > As Dragline noted to Mr. Lucas Jackson, existential "sinkholes" can,
        in fact, be nothing less than "world shaking". For example: there was
        Me before my 12 month "tour of duty" in Song Be, South Vietnam and
        then there was "me" after I got home. The latter would not have
        recognized the former if they bumped into each other on the street.