Being in This Place

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2003
      Here are some thoughts expressed through the dialectic of poetry,
      using unassuming language. Poetry is often best read aloud.

      The Day We Put on Our Skin

      once we were all ideas
      from somewhere out beyond space
      like shootin' stars 'r light'nin' bolts
      fallin' into this place
      all o' the pieces o' what we are
      are drawn t' us by our own force
      an' the things we touch jus' make us' ferget
      an' we jus' go off on our own course
      we're the ones who let ourselves be this
      we choose the children we are
      we really believed we'd see this
      we're much more than a shootin' star
      we ferget ourselves fer a reason
      t' prove that love is what's right
      we come her jus' fer a season
      t' shed a little love light
      we come t' prove another one's right
      t' be what they have t' be
      t' pull a child from its own endless night
      t' set somebody else free
      never forsake the kiss 'r caress
      let the healin' begin
      we all choose the path of lovin' duress
      the day we put on our skin

      children rejoice the orphan's home
      is unlocked an' open again
      an' don't ya ferget ya were never alone
      from the day ya put on yer skin

      (From the author of The Blue Rose Project)