Re: hello!

  • poetcsw
    Message 1 of 33 , May 4, 2003
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Drew" <skindividual@y...> wrote:

      > Why can this not be addressed?
      >

      > Denise

      Anything relating to existentialism or phenomenology can be asked or
      explored for discussion. It is important that discussions not attack
      anyone, regardless of his or her views and/or misunderstandings. If
      another member notices a factual or historical error, a correction
      should be offered politely and with a proper tone.

      Existentialism applies to a broad range of philosophers, not one group
      over any other. Also, educating members should include more than
      telling them what to read -- it should offer an explanation as to why
      a book, play, or essay is of value.

      As an example: I did not see the posts calling Ayn Rand an
      existentialist. I think there was a question about her, and a polite
      explanation of her beliefs would have been in order. She was in
      opposition to Sartre, and a bitter oponent at that. Explaning why and
      how would offer value to the group. Unfortunately, I think the student
      asking the question felt attacked and left to ask me the question
      privately.

      We need to answer things, not attack each other. When a post is
      negative in tone, whatever value it has is lost and ignored. I tend to
      skip most posts that call me a name anywhere in the post, and I think
      most people would do the same.

      As for comments about degrees and what-not: I do not attack the
      credentials of others, though I did point out that formal education
      alone is not the only form of credential. There was no sarcasm or
      dislike in that -- merely a point that everyone here might have
      something of value to add.

      My "existential" education was from a French-born professor who has
      moved to this area. I spent hours at his house in the summers, working
      on books together. That was more valid that any of my university
      courses -- many of which were on the topic, but poorly taught.

      So, those were my points.

      - CSW
    • poetcsw
      Message 33 of 33 , May 4, 2003