Re: [existlist] Re: fight club

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      Bryan,

      What I get from Fight Club is the idea of taking control of
      your life. Most people just drift through their living
      years. Flying from one airport to another; picking your
      furniture out the Ikea catalogue, doing the right thing with
      single serving friends.

      What Taylor is trying to point out is that they are a lost
      generation, without meaning or purpose.

      The fight and the scar on the hand are means by which to
      make one realise that they are actually living. The movie
      has very little to do with violence, although Hollywood has
      overdone it a bit. Those who see violence as central theme
      to this film, just do not understand the underlying concept.

      As to other movies that deal with existence, I suppose you
      could make up quite a list.

      The one which I like the most is, "Wages of Fear", of 1953
      and staring Yves Montand. The original French title was
      "Salaire de la peur". It was later redone [poorly], in 1977
      as "The Sorcerer" staring Roy Scheider.

      The other movie that I enjoy is "The Fountainhead", with
      Gary Cooper. A very existentialist film. It shows an
      architect who chooses for himself, instead of for the crowd.

      eduard
    • Mark and Bev Tindall
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2003
        eduard wrote:

        > once more Mark makes a statement which no
        > one else has made [fighting is a true masculine
        > pursuit] and then proceeds to say it is wrong.

        I don't really care what anyone else thinks about my opinion. An abundance of testosterone is no substitute for intelligence! Fighting and violence is a stupid, irrational, illogical, ratbag and irresponsible course of action for anyone. None of my friends advocate fighting and violence.

        > It's just a movie Mark. You are focusing upon
        > the surface aspects

        I am coming to the movie from film semiotics ... which you should study rather than put forward your own misguided interpretation of the film. All art carries content. The content of this film is dual. The good content is the realisation that materialism is not the answer. The bad content is the condoning of violence. Men, in particular, could take some lessons from the pacifist males like Ghandi, Martin Lurther King, John Lennon and Jesus the Messiah. Fighting and violence is not the answer.

        > You are missing the message of men having
        > something that is fundamentally theirs, against a > world of Ikea.

        But what they have is of no ultimate importannce and does not help anyone. Instead, it destroys others ... and ultimately themselves.

        > There is tremendous mutual love in those
        > fights.

        There is no love in violence. It is a contradiction.

        Mark

      • Mark and Bev Tindall
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2003
          eduard wrote:

          > Those who see violence as central theme
          > to this film, just do not understand the
          > underlying concept.

          Those who don't see violence as a central theme have no understanding of film semiotics or contemporary art criticism. Even the title suggests violence ... 'The FIGHT Club'! I speak as an artist.

          > The other movie that I enjoy is "The
          > Fountainhead", with Gary Cooper. A very
          > existentialist film.

          Ayn Rand is a Romanticist and NOT an Existentialist! This book (and film) has NOTHING to do with existentialism! Look up Ayn Rand's background in a Google search and check for yourself.

          Mark

        • yeoman
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2003
            Mark,

            Did you actually see the film??

            > > to this film, just do not understand the
            > > underlying concept.
            >
            > Those who don't see violence as a central theme have no
            understanding of film semiotics or contemporary art
            criticism. Even the title suggests violence ... 'The FIGHT
            Club'! I speak as an artist.

            [snip for space] ...
          • Mark and Bev Tindall
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2003
              eduard wrote:

              > Did you actually see the film??

              Yes ... and I have a video of it as well. It helps to know how to read art.

              Mark