    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      It has long been my contention that Fight club is a period piece
      that was a natural outgrowth of the mosh pit generation. Physical
      violence has been banned in white suburban america. Aggression is not
      politically correct and therefore some minority will rebell and
      demand violence be a part of their lives. Knowing self defense is one
      thing, fighting for fun is a different matter. The S+M nature of this
      type of activity suggests a psychopathology is present.
      Each person draws his own line regarding recreation and physical
      violence. For me Ice hockey and football are at the far end of the
      scale. Boxing is over the line for me because the goal of the
      contest is to cause your opponent a brain concussion. In the other
      blood sports you try to score goals or touchdowns and the violence
      is secondary.
      I know people involved in fight clubs and their mentality is much
      the same as soccer holligans. Tough , young men could be asked to
      find more useful outlets for this violent energy but then it would
      not be rebellious and would not accomplish the fulfillment of felt
      needs. Most societies have outlets for physical aggression and this
      rebellion is a sign we have gone too far in restricting such
      conduct.
      Some in this group have equated the fight club mentality with the
      mens movement. I do not see them as having the same psychological
      roots. I think the mens movement to be homoerotic in nature with
      strong collectivist tendancies. The fight club group is
      sadomasochistic at its root and is intensely individualistic and
      competative. For me both groups are beyond lines I personally do not
      wish to cross. That is a personal attitude and let others do as they
      may.