Re: [existlist] fight club

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      Mark,

      > ... and also (wrongly) that fighting is a true masculine
      pursuit. Having completed university courses in film
      semiotics my informed opinion is that the film is about:

      > 1. Schizophrenia and delusional states
      > 2. Violence as a result of a dominant materialist society.
      > It helps if one knows how to read a film. it also helps
      if one has good comprehension.

      ---> Amazing. Once more Mark makes a statement which no
      one else has made [fighting is a true masculine pursuit] and
      then proceeds to say it is wrong. Why dont you say that the
      movie is about swallowing guns and then say that is wrong.
      Or perhaps it is all about making soap.

      In any case, your (1) and (2) would apply to a heap other
      films. They are not specific to Fight Club, as to set it
      apart. You need to look at the movie again.

      > It is NOT about male bonding which has a very different
      meaning ... particularly in the men's movement of which I
      have been a part for the last decade. The men's movement
      does not advocate violence. Male bonding is not violence!.

      ---> It's just a movie Mark. You are focusing upon the
      surface aspects, as most people do [a lot of women only see
      it as a vehicle for violence]. What is of importance is
      what lies underneath. You are missing the message of men
      having something that is fundamentally theirs, against a
      world of Ikea. There is tremendous mutual love in those
      fights.

      eduard
    • David Leon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2003
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2003
          Hello all:)

          Movies as such as these that i have pointed out, all do have
          similarities, as to why people like us, would discuss ideas of
          existentialism. From the examples of movies given; especiallly
          in 'Fight Club', there is a portrayal of sublime perspectives and a
          consummate wealth of innuendo toward: "Kierkegaard, Nietszche, John
          Locke, Bentham, Bertrand Russel, Sartre, Jung, Freud, and many others
          to some varying degree in one moment or another> "Pain does not
          exist"....."Come on hit me...we should do that more often."..."We are
          everywhere, we are the cooks who cook your meals, the waiters who
          serve your food..., etc, etc, (you get the idea)
          Fight club is a rendition of philosophical theory thrown together in
          a ring, to have it out with each, to see who or what would win
          (subjectively speaking in the metaphorical terms)..."I wanted to
          destroy something beautiful", " I was Tyler's cancer, etc....
          Out of philosophy, there is dangerous ideas. Words kill and can be
          used to kill others if not used responsibly. The best example to this
          effect was Einstein and how he revolutionized the Atomic bomb because
          of his E=MC^2.
          Tyler was the duality of abused behavior from an internal world that
          manifested to himself through external focuses and stimulus.
          The fight club was a manifestation of how dominated a "FREE MAN can
          be by his own obsessions with something, as portrayed through
          Commercial idealism and TV Meta-morphoses of public opinion.
          Memento, the second one, which also had some good philosophy to it
          was about how we are what we are. And the proof to it was simple,
          take away a man's short term memory and he would become a freak, no
          matter how intelligent he was or how beautiful he was...also, can
          someone with a vengence for someone else, who forgets all the time,
          possibly have the ability to still lie to themselves?

          Another is pleasantville. It is a lighthearted comedy that presents
          the idea of qualia in a world of black and white sitcom, where two
          teens must free themselves to get out of, to get back into their real
          world.

          Does anyone here know of any other movies that might portray some
          existentialist thinking? I would be interested as well, if you know
          some. Thanks

          Bryan Junius

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, yeoman <yeoman@v...> wrote:
          > Mark,
          >

          > > ... and also (wrongly) that fighting is a true masculine
          > pursuit. Having completed university courses in film
          > semiotics my informed opinion is that the film is about:
          >

          > > 1. Schizophrenia and delusional states
          > > 2. Violence as a result of a dominant materialist society.
          > > It helps if one knows how to read a film. it also helps
          > if one has good comprehension.
          >

          > ---> Amazing. Once more Mark makes a statement which no
          > one else has made [fighting is a true masculine pursuit] and
          > then proceeds to say it is wrong. Why dont you say that the
          > movie is about swallowing guns and then say that is wrong.
          > Or perhaps it is all about making soap.
          >

          > In any case, your (1) and (2) would apply to a heap other
          > films. They are not specific to Fight Club, as to set it
          > apart. You need to look at the movie again.
          >

          > > It is NOT about male bonding which has a very different
          > meaning ... particularly in the men's movement of which I
          > have been a part for the last decade. The men's movement
          > does not advocate violence. Male bonding is not violence!.
          >

          > ---> It's just a movie Mark. You are focusing upon the
          > surface aspects, as most people do [a lot of women only see
          > it as a vehicle for violence]. What is of importance is
          > what lies underneath. You are missing the message of men
          > having something that is fundamentally theirs, against a
          > world of Ikea. There is tremendous mutual love in those
          > fights.
          >

          > eduard
        • yeoman
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2003
            Bryan,

            What I get from Fight Club is the idea of taking control of
            your life. Most people just drift through their living
            years. Flying from one airport to another; picking your
            furniture out the Ikea catalogue, doing the right thing with
            single serving friends.

            What Taylor is trying to point out is that they are a lost
            generation, without meaning or purpose.

            The fight and the scar on the hand are means by which to
            make one realise that they are actually living. The movie
            has very little to do with violence, although Hollywood has
            overdone it a bit. Those who see violence as central theme
            to this film, just do not understand the underlying concept.

            As to other movies that deal with existence, I suppose you
            could make up quite a list.

            The one which I like the most is, "Wages of Fear", of 1953
            and staring Yves Montand. The original French title was
            "Salaire de la peur". It was later redone [poorly], in 1977
            as "The Sorcerer" staring Roy Scheider.

            The other movie that I enjoy is "The Fountainhead", with
            Gary Cooper. A very existentialist film. It shows an
            architect who chooses for himself, instead of for the crowd.

            eduard
          • Mark and Bev Tindall
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2003
              eduard wrote:

              > once more Mark makes a statement which no
              > one else has made [fighting is a true masculine
              > pursuit] and then proceeds to say it is wrong.

              I don't really care what anyone else thinks about my opinion. An abundance of testosterone is no substitute for intelligence! Fighting and violence is a stupid, irrational, illogical, ratbag and irresponsible course of action for anyone. None of my friends advocate fighting and violence.

              > It's just a movie Mark. You are focusing upon
              > the surface aspects

              I am coming to the movie from film semiotics ... which you should study rather than put forward your own misguided interpretation of the film. All art carries content. The content of this film is dual. The good content is the realisation that materialism is not the answer. The bad content is the condoning of violence. Men, in particular, could take some lessons from the pacifist males like Ghandi, Martin Lurther King, John Lennon and Jesus the Messiah. Fighting and violence is not the answer.

              > You are missing the message of men having
              > something that is fundamentally theirs, against a > world of Ikea.

              But what they have is of no ultimate importannce and does not help anyone. Instead, it destroys others ... and ultimately themselves.

              > There is tremendous mutual love in those
              > fights.

              There is no love in violence. It is a contradiction.

              Mark

            • Mark and Bev Tindall
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                eduard wrote:

                > Those who see violence as central theme
                > to this film, just do not understand the
                > underlying concept.

                Those who don't see violence as a central theme have no understanding of film semiotics or contemporary art criticism. Even the title suggests violence ... 'The FIGHT Club'! I speak as an artist.

                > The other movie that I enjoy is "The
                > Fountainhead", with Gary Cooper. A very
                > existentialist film.

                Ayn Rand is a Romanticist and NOT an Existentialist! This book (and film) has NOTHING to do with existentialism! Look up Ayn Rand's background in a Google search and check for yourself.

                Mark

              • yeoman
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                  Mark,

                  Did you actually see the film??

                  > > to this film, just do not understand the
                  > > underlying concept.
                  >
                  > Those who don't see violence as a central theme have no
                  understanding of film semiotics or contemporary art
                  criticism. Even the title suggests violence ... 'The FIGHT
                  Club'! I speak as an artist.

                  [snip for space] ...
                • Mark and Bev Tindall
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                    eduard wrote:

                    > Did you actually see the film??

                    Yes ... and I have a video of it as well. It helps to know how to read art.

                    Mark