Matrix

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      shari,

      The plot line of the movie Matrix was much harder for me to
      buy into. That is, the idea of having humans as batteries.
      I just don't think that humans produce that much surplus
      energy to be of benefit to robots.

      But the concept that life is an illusion was particularly
      powerful. I think that it reflects the general feeling in
      the populace [especially for Americans] that there is a lack
      of meaning in what we do from day to day. We seem to be
      sleep-walking through our years. The thought which is posed
      by the movie is that if our life which is before our faces
      has no meaning, then perhaps what is in front of us is only
      an illusion. And that something else is going on which has
      meaning -- albeit very dark. The hero Neo played by Keanu
      Reeves is the messiah.

      It is interesting that Morpheus played by Laurence
      Fishburne, in Greek mythology, gives shapes to the dreamer
      and is the son of Hypnos the god of sleep, and enables the
      birth of Neo or messiah. The idea of a messiah is frequent
      within Hollywood movies. If we can only believe in him,
      then everything will turn out Ok. But then one could ask
      whether we are being transferred from one dream into
      another. Such was the concept in the movie "13th Floor".

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2004
        Brian, All that thinking over a silly movie? Did you get that much
        out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Bill