TPO junction and dreams

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2003
      In the Scientific American article, there is reference to
      the TPO Junction or Junction of the Temporal, Parietal and
      Occipital lobes. The point is made that this is the
      location of mixing of senses and is particular to the
      Synesthesia disorder.

      I got to thinking about this in regard to my time-to-time
      study of dreaming and means of getting to sleep.

      A frequent dream is that of flying. This would seem to
      follow if, at the time of dreaming, the TPO takes over
      control of our senses.

      What brings us back to Existentialism is to realise the link
      of this characteristic to various subjectivity states. I
      would suggest that our desire for self-actuation is of this
      type. It also pops up in a variety of
      mythologies/religions.

      - the focus of Egyptian worldview and religion is the
      position of the pharaoh in maintaining order and holding
      back chaos. The Pyramids are constructed as a sort of dream
      palace for the current Pharaoh, so that even after death, he
      can fulfill his role. At night his Ka would leave the body
      to visit the afterworld. This would be known to the
      average Egyptian, since it is replication of the form of
      dreaming that everyone experiences. It shows that behind
      even the seeming irrationality of religion, there is reason.

      - The Greek mythologies had an emphasis of height in
      relation to power.

      - European pagan mythologies involved witches that flew at
      night.

      - and many other mythologies that are known to us.

      The point being that our subjectivity is not unique nor
      enigmatic, but follows certain patterns that are already
      established. This does not necessarily mean that we have a
      loss of personal control, but awareness of these patterns
      would allow us to differentiate reality from fantasy.

      eduard
    • Mark and Bev Tindall
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2003
        Eduard wrote:

        > What brings us back to Existentialism is to realise the link
        > of this characteristic to various subjectivity states.

        The link is not adequately demonstrated.

        > It shows that behind
        > even the seeming irrationality of religion, there is reason.

        It only shows that objective quantitative non-existentialist science ... and
        a lack of adequate knowledge of ancient civilisations ... is primary in your
        world view.

        > but awareness of these patterns
        > would allow us to differentiate reality from fantasy.

        Oh ... objective quantitative scientific reality (which excludes
        existentialist subjectivity) can show us being! Really?

        Maybe you don't have any being. You say there is no ground or source to
        your being. Maybe you are a fantasy as you cannot prove your own existence.
        (I asked you to do so ... but you didn't answer ...)

        Jung's archetypes explain things much better than your garbled theory
        pinched from an article in the latest Scientific America.

        Have you read C G Jung's ' Memories, Dreams and Reflections' ?

        Mark
      • Rakwena Mogoai
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2003
          Eduard,

          >> The point being that our subjectivity is not unique nor
          enigmatic, but follows certain patterns that are already
          established. This does not necessarily mean that we have a
          loss of personal control, but awareness of these patterns
          would allow us to differentiate reality from fantasy>>

          Sometimes I seem to get lost when people speak about REALITY - What is
          REALITY. I have been wondering are dreams; hallucinations;thoughts and
          fantasy part of reality cuase at times these are spoken of as though they
          are not part of reality. So what is reality?

          Rakwena

        • Harry JMK
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2003
            At 22-04-2003 10:01 Tuesday, Mark wrote to Eduard:
            >Jung's archetypes explain things much better than your garbled theory
            >pinched from an article in the latest Scientific America.
            >
            >Have you read C G Jung's ' Memories, Dreams and Reflections' ?

            Yep, and he observed:

            "An understanding heart is everything in a teacher, and cannot be esteemed
            highly enough. One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers,
            but with gratitude to those who touched our human feeling."

            Carl G. Jung

            'Love U 2 :-)
            - Harry -