How large are we?

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21 10:00 AM
      Sometimes we get too full of ourselves and it hard to break
      away from our egos. We look at ourselves in the mirror and
      place some importance upon our reflection. Yet actually
      within the scope of things, we are insignificant.

      If you look toward the ecliptic, at night, you will see
      Venus as a bright star. Considering the relative distances,
      the view of Earth from Mars would be about the same. So
      that "human size" person you see in the mirror, would not be
      seen from Mars. Neither your house, or building, or city.
      The solar system itself would be lost in the glow of the
      galaxy.

      So, what does our existence amount to in all this??
      Actually very very little. Our individual living and dying
      would make no difference in the end. All that we have is
      ourselves and a responsibility for others.

      eduard
    • Knott
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21 11:11 AM
        <<All that we have is ourselves and a responsibility for others.>>

        I'm not sure there are either of these.

        However, looking at this deception called "Universe", one could
        speculate that like an object falling in the pond that ripples fan
        out in every direction. I'm not sure it emparts meaning.

        You'd argue with me if I said "there is no responsibility", but I
        might be inclined to argue "there are no others" and maybe "who's
        self?" But what if I argued about there being an infinite number of
        universi about the singularity we claim is the only universe? In
        human terms, the universe once orbited the earth; we can get that
        wrong, we can misconceive many other things. What is we were one of
        many? it seems to make us small. But if we infinitely divide, we are
        infinitely large.

        Goldilox always looked for just right...and right or wrong she found
        it each time.

        Fitzen Spurtz
        ------------------------------------
      • yeoman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21 12:19 PM
          Dear Fitzen Spurtz,

          I was trying to give a certain perspective on "our"
          existence. That, in the end, we are only tiny speck in the
          infinite universe around us. What we do and what we decide
          upon, as individuals, has no real meaning other than what we
          wish to invent for ourselves. If there is any meaning at
          all, then it is to humanity of which we are a part. There
          is no greater purpose or even a transcendental or immanent
          entity that is prior to ourselves. In August 1998 the gamma
          radiation from a distant supernova blasted the earth and
          turned the night sky green. It would not take much for some
          similar, yet closer, event to turn us into history.

          > <<All that we have is ourselves and a responsibility for
          others.>>

          > I'm not sure there are either of these.
          >
          > However, looking at this deception called "Universe", one
          could
          > speculate that like an object falling in the pond that
          ripples fan
          > out in every direction. I'm not sure it emparts meaning.
          >
          > You'd argue with me if I said "there is no
          responsibility", but I
          > might be inclined to argue "there are no others" and maybe
          "who's
          > self?" But what if I argued about there being an infinite
          number of
          > universi about the singularity we claim is the only
          universe? In
          > human terms, the universe once orbited the earth; we can
          get that
          > wrong, we can misconceive many other things. What is we
          were one of
          > many? it seems to make us small. But if we infinitely
          divide, we are
          > infinitely large.
          >
          > Goldilox always looked for just right...and right or wrong
          she found
          > it each time.
          >
          > Fitzen Spurtz
          > ------------------------------------

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Lorna Landry
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21 12:22 PM
            Eduard,

            I like what you say here - I feel the same way (ie: the insignificance of my existence) whenever I leave the ground to fly anywhere. There is just something about being up in the air, where problems and so forth seem insignificant compared to how they look when on the ground. Maybe I should have been a pilot!

            Lorna

            yeoman <yeoman@...> wrote:Sometimes we get too full of ourselves and it hard to break

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21 12:47 PM
              Lorna,

              And it all looks so peaceful when you look down from an
              aircraft. Everything looks nice and clean and there seems
              to be room for everyone.

              I hear that the first group of some 44 pilots were recently
              approved to carry guns in the US.

              > I like what you say here - I feel the same way (ie: the
              insignificance of my existence) whenever I leave the ground
              to fly anywhere. There is just something about being up in
              the air, where problems and so forth seem insignificant
              compared to how they look when on the ground. Maybe I should
              have been a pilot!

              > Lorna
            • Mark and Bev Tindall
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21 5:26 PM
                Eduard wrote:

                > So, what does our existence amount to in all this??
                > Actually very very little. Our individual living and dying
                > would make no difference in the end.

                Christian existentialism values all people regardless of their 'quality of
                life' for all people are made in the image of the Ground and Source of all
                being. No man (or woman) is an island ... John Donne.

                Mark