Re: [existlist] Getting along

  • Sue McPherson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:30 PM
      eduard,

      Looking at it objectively?

      I would wonder about the circumstances the person who said it was enduring.
      Looking at some of the things that were said between you and Mark is a good
      example. I thought that, given time, that situation could have been gotten
      through, and I was hoping that you both would. You know that. Remember,
      it was me who encouraaged you to rejoin the list when you quit in
      frustration.

      Shari seemed to be under the impression I wasn't good enough to be a list
      moderator. I think that's why she sent the following post a week ago. You,
      eduard, had just responded to Chris, informing him you were running for
      post of second moderator. I followed suit, also responding to Chris's
      message, as there was not a chance in hell I, or several others, would have
      wanted you as second moderator.

      Shari,

      Oh what the heck! If Sue can do it, anybody can, right? Is that what you
      meant. (see below)
      Just who the f------g hell do you think you are?

      I have worked hard at achieving my eduacation. I have not had the help of a
      man in my life since my marriage ended.
      I do not have the credibility that comes with either having a job or having
      a husband. And there's little I can do about it. I do what I do, and believe
      me, sometimes I regret having put all my effort into writing on behalf of
      older women. When I am more calm, I know I am doing the right thing. It is
      women like you who need the kind of thought - and information - and
      stories - I am researching. But like dealing with juvenile delinquents (and
      I have done that too) you just don't realize it. It doesn't make my
      research worth any less, But it does make it harder. I hope, when you have
      had more life experience, and when you are older, and more educated, you
      don't run into younger women like you.

      Sue McPherson

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 3:48 PM
        Sue,

        Well, actually, sufficient people wanted me as 2nd moderator
        that the score was 4 [for me] versus 3 [for you], before
        Chris pulled the plug.

        I think that we can "get along" if we were to stick to
        issues of philosophy rather than trying to see something in
        what people are saying. I have provided several emails
        related to philosophy and no one has yet responded. Why??
        I realise that there is a time factor for people who are in
        distant zones, but that does not give explanation for those
        who are on-line at this moment.

        > I would wonder about the circumstances the person who said
        it was enduring.
        > Looking at some of the things that were said between you
        and Mark is a good
        > example. I thought that, given time, that situation could
        have been gotten
        > through, and I was hoping that you both would. You know
        that. Remember,
        > it was me who encouraaged you to rejoin the list when you
        quit in
        > frustration.
        >
        > Shari seemed to be under the impression I wasn't good
        enough to be a list
        > moderator. I think that's why she sent the following post
        a week ago. You,
        > eduard, had just responded to Chris, informing him you
        were running for
        > post of second moderator. I followed suit, also
        responding to Chris's
        > message, as there was not a chance in hell I, or several
        others, would have
        > wanted you as second moderator.
        >
        > Shari,
        >
        > Oh what the heck! If Sue can do it, anybody can, right?
        Is that what you
        > meant. (see below)
        > Just who the f------g hell do you think you are?
        >
        > I have worked hard at achieving my eduacation. I have not
        had the help of a
        > man in my life since my marriage ended.
        > I do not have the credibility that comes with either
        having a job or having
        > a husband. And there's little I can do about it. I do what
        I do, and believe
        > me, sometimes I regret having put all my effort into
        writing on behalf of
        > older women. When I am more calm, I know I am doing the
        right thing. It is
        > women like you who need the kind of thought - and
        information - and
        > stories - I am researching. But like dealing with
        juvenile delinquents (and
        > I have done that too) you just don't realize it. It
        doesn't make my
        > research worth any less, But it does make it harder. I
        hope, when you have
        > had more life experience, and when you are older, and more
        educated, you
        > don't run into younger women like you.
        >
        > Sue McPherson
      • Sue McPherson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 3:58 PM
          The score was four-all when it ended.

          I noticed one of your messages was about phenomenology.
          But it is a rather tired thread at the moment. No one is
          adding anything new to it.

          Maybe people do not care for the tone of interactions on this list
          and so are not responding in case they are jumped on. They only
          have to look at some of the digs that people are capable of and
          feel inhibited.

          There's also the fact that it simply isnt' necesary to have a constant
          flow of discussion on this list. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't.
          What's wrong with silence!

          There is a chat room associated with this list. Why don't people
          log into it if they want to just chat? Why not advertise it as being
          open at specific times?

          Sue McPherson

          > Well, actually, sufficient people wanted me as 2nd moderator
          > that the score was 4 [for me] versus 3 [for you], before
          > Chris pulled the plug.
          >
          > I think that we can "get along" if we were to stick to
          > issues of philosophy rather than trying to see something in
          > what people are saying. I have provided several emails
          > related to philosophy and no one has yet responded. Why??
          > I realise that there is a time factor for people who are in
          > distant zones, but that does not give explanation for those
          > who are on-line at this moment.
          >
          > eduard

        • yeoman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 4:10 PM
            Sue,

            The score was 4-4 because Mark voted twice.

            I am surprised that you should think that phenomenology is a
            "tired thread", when it is the purpose of this list.

            Perhaps people do not care for the tone. But I have
            afforded an opportunity to discuss something that is
            pertinent. It would seem to me that, since you are here,
            then why not discuss it?? Or if you don't wish to, then why
            don't you put in something??

            If we could get into discussion, then perhaps it would draw
            people in to participate.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
              Louise," We forefeit three quarters of ourselves in order to get
              along with other people"Schopenhauer. The percentage may be
              questionable but the idea seems sound.
              It would seem Bravehound thinks people skills are lacking and that
              is a bad thing. Getting along may be a good idea in building a
              house of cards or even a bondfire but her very feminine contention
              that cooperation is the way of progress remains at ends.
              My lack of people skills is more a desire for results than a
              needed precurser to action. You have always acted much the same
              and you seem to have little need for the required arrangement of
              blouse and positioning of hair before you tell someone to take a
              hike.
              Katherine Hepburn had that kind of mind and it has nothing to do
              with being"sexy" . Were talking head video added to this medium I
              would remain off screen. I think you might also opt for that case
              of communication. All the non verbal molasses is not only very
              easily misintrepreted but is repetative and therefore superfluous.
              I was actually more disposed to the sexless Bravehouse because it
              seemed less necessary to swish my hair and curl my lip in
              accomodation to fashion. Now she has ruined all that and obviously
              desires to be considered female. In Author`s view she has taken
              another step away from self awareness and toward the sexed,
              corporate mystique. I will make every attempt to ignore her plea for
              collective formulae and treat her just like every one else, just like
              [expletive deleted to gripe off that other newbie]. Bill