Getting along

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Sue,

      > Try a little harder to get along!
      > There's no need for such impertinence.

      I think that goes both ways ...

      What is your take on someone who would say:

      >>> If you're not careful, sharis will get rid of your for
      being so disruptive. Or maybe she'll just blame me
      instead - she seems to
      have A VERY POOR GRASP ON REALITY <<<

      I think that we would be a lot better off if we stuck to
      topics of philosophy. I have sent a number of emails which
      no one has seen fit to respond to. The objective of this
      list is to discuss rather than to look for instances of
      "impertinence". Perhaps you have something to offer in the
      way of philosophy.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        eduard,

        Looking at it objectively?

        I would wonder about the circumstances the person who said it was enduring.
        Looking at some of the things that were said between you and Mark is a good
        example. I thought that, given time, that situation could have been gotten
        through, and I was hoping that you both would. You know that. Remember,
        it was me who encouraaged you to rejoin the list when you quit in
        frustration.

        Shari seemed to be under the impression I wasn't good enough to be a list
        moderator. I think that's why she sent the following post a week ago. You,
        eduard, had just responded to Chris, informing him you were running for
        post of second moderator. I followed suit, also responding to Chris's
        message, as there was not a chance in hell I, or several others, would have
        wanted you as second moderator.

        Shari,

        Oh what the heck! If Sue can do it, anybody can, right? Is that what you
        meant. (see below)
        Just who the f------g hell do you think you are?

        I have worked hard at achieving my eduacation. I have not had the help of a
        man in my life since my marriage ended.
        I do not have the credibility that comes with either having a job or having
        a husband. And there's little I can do about it. I do what I do, and believe
        me, sometimes I regret having put all my effort into writing on behalf of
        older women. When I am more calm, I know I am doing the right thing. It is
        women like you who need the kind of thought - and information - and
        stories - I am researching. But like dealing with juvenile delinquents (and
        I have done that too) you just don't realize it. It doesn't make my
        research worth any less, But it does make it harder. I hope, when you have
        had more life experience, and when you are older, and more educated, you
        don't run into younger women like you.

        Sue McPherson

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          Sue,

          Well, actually, sufficient people wanted me as 2nd moderator
          that the score was 4 [for me] versus 3 [for you], before
          Chris pulled the plug.

          I think that we can "get along" if we were to stick to
          issues of philosophy rather than trying to see something in
          what people are saying. I have provided several emails
          related to philosophy and no one has yet responded. Why??
          I realise that there is a time factor for people who are in
          distant zones, but that does not give explanation for those
          who are on-line at this moment.

          > I would wonder about the circumstances the person who said
          it was enduring.
          > Looking at some of the things that were said between you
          and Mark is a good
          > example. I thought that, given time, that situation could
          have been gotten
          > through, and I was hoping that you both would. You know
          that. Remember,
          > it was me who encouraaged you to rejoin the list when you
          quit in
          > frustration.
          >
          > Shari seemed to be under the impression I wasn't good
          enough to be a list
          > moderator. I think that's why she sent the following post
          a week ago. You,
          > eduard, had just responded to Chris, informing him you
          were running for
          > post of second moderator. I followed suit, also
          responding to Chris's
          > message, as there was not a chance in hell I, or several
          others, would have
          > wanted you as second moderator.
          >
          > Shari,
          >
          > Oh what the heck! If Sue can do it, anybody can, right?
          Is that what you
          > meant. (see below)
          > Just who the f------g hell do you think you are?
          >
          > I have worked hard at achieving my eduacation. I have not
          had the help of a
          > man in my life since my marriage ended.
          > I do not have the credibility that comes with either
          having a job or having
          > a husband. And there's little I can do about it. I do what
          I do, and believe
          > me, sometimes I regret having put all my effort into
          writing on behalf of
          > older women. When I am more calm, I know I am doing the
          right thing. It is
          > women like you who need the kind of thought - and
          information - and
          > stories - I am researching. But like dealing with
          juvenile delinquents (and
          > I have done that too) you just don't realize it. It
          doesn't make my
          > research worth any less, But it does make it harder. I
          hope, when you have
          > had more life experience, and when you are older, and more
          educated, you
          > don't run into younger women like you.
          >
          > Sue McPherson
        • Sue McPherson
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
            The score was four-all when it ended.

            I noticed one of your messages was about phenomenology.
            But it is a rather tired thread at the moment. No one is
            adding anything new to it.

            Maybe people do not care for the tone of interactions on this list
            and so are not responding in case they are jumped on. They only
            have to look at some of the digs that people are capable of and
            feel inhibited.

            There's also the fact that it simply isnt' necesary to have a constant
            flow of discussion on this list. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't.
            What's wrong with silence!

            There is a chat room associated with this list. Why don't people
            log into it if they want to just chat? Why not advertise it as being
            open at specific times?

            Sue McPherson

            > Well, actually, sufficient people wanted me as 2nd moderator
            > that the score was 4 [for me] versus 3 [for you], before
            > Chris pulled the plug.
            >
            > I think that we can "get along" if we were to stick to
            > issues of philosophy rather than trying to see something in
            > what people are saying. I have provided several emails
            > related to philosophy and no one has yet responded. Why??
            > I realise that there is a time factor for people who are in
            > distant zones, but that does not give explanation for those
            > who are on-line at this moment.
            >
            > eduard

          • yeoman
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
              Sue,

              The score was 4-4 because Mark voted twice.

              I am surprised that you should think that phenomenology is a
              "tired thread", when it is the purpose of this list.

              Perhaps people do not care for the tone. But I have
              afforded an opportunity to discuss something that is
              pertinent. It would seem to me that, since you are here,
              then why not discuss it?? Or if you don't wish to, then why
              don't you put in something??

              If we could get into discussion, then perhaps it would draw
              people in to participate.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
                Louise," We forefeit three quarters of ourselves in order to get
                along with other people"Schopenhauer. The percentage may be
                questionable but the idea seems sound.
                It would seem Bravehound thinks people skills are lacking and that
                is a bad thing. Getting along may be a good idea in building a
                house of cards or even a bondfire but her very feminine contention
                that cooperation is the way of progress remains at ends.
                My lack of people skills is more a desire for results than a
                needed precurser to action. You have always acted much the same
                and you seem to have little need for the required arrangement of
                blouse and positioning of hair before you tell someone to take a
                hike.
                Katherine Hepburn had that kind of mind and it has nothing to do
                with being"sexy" . Were talking head video added to this medium I
                would remain off screen. I think you might also opt for that case
                of communication. All the non verbal molasses is not only very
                easily misintrepreted but is repetative and therefore superfluous.
                I was actually more disposed to the sexless Bravehouse because it
                seemed less necessary to swish my hair and curl my lip in
                accomodation to fashion. Now she has ruined all that and obviously
                desires to be considered female. In Author`s view she has taken
                another step away from self awareness and toward the sexed,
                corporate mystique. I will make every attempt to ignore her plea for
                collective formulae and treat her just like every one else, just like
                [expletive deleted to gripe off that other newbie]. Bill