RE: [existlist] war & PROPHECY !

  • Rakwena Mogoai
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      Eduard,

      >>All of this and much more is in the Bible ... you only have to read it
      to find the truth of the future>>

      Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
      And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your study of religion?
      I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to justice and the
      social order, humanism part of it.

      Rakwena

    • yeoman
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        Rakwena,

        > Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
        > And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your
        study of religion?
        > I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to
        justice and the
        > social order, humanism part of it.

        ---> There is always an element of truth in fantasy. That
        is certainly the case for Greek mythology and is for
        Biblical fantasy. That is why they are referred to as
        metaphors. I tend to read the bible from the psychological
        side. If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
        to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
        by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
        communicate with God -- up a mountain.

        eduard
      • Rakwena Mogoai
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          Eduard,

          Wrote:
          >> If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
          to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
          by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
          communicate with God -- up a mountain.>>

          The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
          Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
          resulted :
          Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain cells
          actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
          cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
          rapidly.

          Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
          encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
          God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
          would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
          so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
          doubt my scepticism.

        • yeoman
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
            Rakwena,

            > The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
            > Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
            > resulted :
            > Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain cells
            > actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
            > cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
            > rapidly.
            >
            > Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
            > encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
            > God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
            > would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
            > so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
            > doubt my scepticism.

            ---> It is not a case of removal of oxygen to the extent as to threaten the life of the person. The same applies to the lack of food which Moses would also have. All that is needed is sufficient lack to trigger a transient so that there is a god experience.

            But then once there is a god experience, it is seen as so personal and so linked to the self, that no matter of arguement from outside will change the view of the person who has that experience. It is easy for humans to compartimentalize their thinking so that even a scientist who has training in looking for evidence and proofs, may also fully believe in a god after some experience. We all know of people who go to church on Sunday and learn about loving each other, yet when outside the church they revert to being racists.

            All I was trying to show was the link between temporal lobe transients and god experiences. I do not have the expectation of changing anyone's beliefs.

          • Lorna Landry
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
              Eduard,

              Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God experience?? I don't know? I can see if bringing on confusion and ultimately, unconsciousness, but a God experience? Have you tried it??

              Lorna

              yeoman <yeoman@...> wrote:Rakwena,

              > Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
              > And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your
              study of religion?
              > I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to
              justice and the
              > social order, humanism part of it.

              ---> There is always an element of truth in fantasy. That
              is certainly the case for Greek mythology and is for
              Biblical fantasy. That is why they are referred to as
              metaphors. I tend to read the bible from the psychological
              side. If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
              to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
              by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
              communicate with God -- up a mountain.

            • manicpg
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God experience?? I
                don't know? I can see if bringing on confusion and ultimately,
                unconsciousness, but a God experience? Have you tried it??

                > Lornaoved]

                as omeone who has treid 99 out of 100 drugs, some of which cut off
                the oxygen, raise adrenaline ect... I see beauty...

                The human mind has the power to exist in such a state as that they
                are staring at a combination plastic snapple plastic wrap over the
                cap twisted with the straw wrapper, twisted perfectly around the
                middle point of both peices stacked, a full twist creative movement
                (intellignece), off to the distance in the light as a clear cut image
                of a bird, not describable, sort of in clay, but straw wrap texture,
                shine on the plastic the way it stands, picturesque

                maybe i am crazy. no god still tho.
              • yeoman
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                  Lorna,

                  It isn't axiomatic. And it is not a complete lack of
                  oxygen, only enough to initiate the transient.

                  I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                  dreams, to get to the same point.

                  > Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God
                  experience?? I don't know? I can see if bringing on
                  confusion and ultimately, unconsciousness, but a God
                  experience? Have you tried it??

                  > Lorna
                • timm
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                    > I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                    > dreams, to get to the same point.

                    How do you cause lucid dreams? Simply by trying to "remember" to wake up
                    in a dream, or is there more to it than that?

                    And how is dreaming related to temporal lobe transients?

                    -timm

                  • leeedgartyler@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                      In a message dated 4/2/2003 5:38:22 AM Central Standard Time,
                      yeoman@... writes:

                      > Rakwena,
                      >
                      > >The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
                      > >Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
                      > >resulted :
                      > >Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain
                      > cells
                      > >actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
                      > >cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
                      > >rapidly.
                      > >
                      > >Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
                      > >encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
                      > >God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
                      > >would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
                      > >so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
                      > >doubt my scepticism.
                      >
                      > ---> It is not a case of removal of oxygen to the extent as to threaten
                      > the life of the person. The same applies to the lack of food which Moses
                      > would also have. All that is needed is sufficient lack to trigger a
                      > transient so that there is a god experience.
                      >
                      > But then once there is a god experience, it is seen as so personal and so
                      > linked to the self, that no matter of arguement from outside will change
                      > the view of the person who has that experience. It is easy for humans to
                      > compartimentalize their thinking so that even a scientist who has training
                      > in looking for evidence and proofs, may also fully believe in a god after
                      > some experience. We all know of people who go to church on Sunday and
                      > learn about loving each other, yet when outside the church they revert to
                      > being racists.
                      >
                      > All I was trying to show was the link between temporal lobe transients and
                      > god experiences. I do not have the expectation of changing anyone's
                      > beliefs.
                      >
                      > eduard

                      I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a historical event when it
                      seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews that functions to
                      legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.

                      Ed Tyler

                    • Tom Hickcox
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                        At 14:09 4/2/03, timm wrote:
                        > > I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                        > > dreams, to get to the same point.
                        >
                        >How do you cause lucid dreams? Simply by trying to "remember" to wake up
                        >in a dream, or is there more to it than that?
                        >
                        >And how is dreaming related to temporal lobe transients?
                        >
                        >-timm

                        In the early '70s I was able to take control of my dreams at times. It was
                        the result of reading Castenada's "Journey to Ixtlan" & "A Separate
                        Reality." I don't remember specifically what I did & I no longer can
                        control them as well, but it was a result of something in one or both of
                        those books. I know I read Journey first & Separate Reality second. I was
                        not taking any hallucinogens.

                        The control was a big help as I was having semi-nightmares & was able to
                        control them. IIRC, I made a conscious decision in the dream to alter
                        it. The trick is to not think too strongly & wake up.

                        Tommy
                      • yeoman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                          Ed,

                          > I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a
                          historical event when it
                          > seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews
                          that functions to
                          > legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.

                          ---> Because all legends have an origin in truth. My view
                          is that the truth is psycological.

                          eduard
                        • leeedgartyler@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                            In a message dated 4/2/2003 3:19:41 PM Central Standard Time,
                            yeoman@... writes:

                            > Ed,
                            >
                            > >I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a
                            > historical event when it
                            > >seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews
                            > that functions to
                            > >legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.
                            >
                            > ---> Because all legends have an origin in truth. My view
                            > is that the truth is psycological.
                            >
                            > eduard

                            What does that have to do with oxygen in the brain of a man who never went up
                            a mountain in the first place? The tale of Moses bringing the laws down from
                            the mountain is fiction: It never happened. It's an invention of the ancient
                            Hebrew tradition to legitimize their code of laws. Nothing more and nothing
                            less.

                            Ed Tyler