Re: [existlist] war & PROPHECY !

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      mahdi,

      This guy Paul Boyer is absolutely right on. I was just
      thinking about that yesterday when god spoke to me through
      the TV screen. I mean, the Bible foretells the regime
      change in upcoming Canadian federal election. And of
      course, as everyone knows, the route used for the I-81
      through New York state is in Genesis somewhere. All of this
      and much more is in the Bible ... you only have to read it
      to find the truth of the future.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        Eduard,

        >>All of this and much more is in the Bible ... you only have to read it
        to find the truth of the future>>

        Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
        And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your study of religion?
        I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to justice and the
        social order, humanism part of it.

        Rakwena

      • yeoman
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          Rakwena,

          > Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
          > And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your
          study of religion?
          > I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to
          justice and the
          > social order, humanism part of it.

          ---> There is always an element of truth in fantasy. That
          is certainly the case for Greek mythology and is for
          Biblical fantasy. That is why they are referred to as
          metaphors. I tend to read the bible from the psychological
          side. If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
          to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
          by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
          communicate with God -- up a mountain.

          eduard
        • Rakwena Mogoai
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
            Eduard,

            Wrote:
            >> If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
            to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
            by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
            communicate with God -- up a mountain.>>

            The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
            Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
            resulted :
            Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain cells
            actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
            cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
            rapidly.

            Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
            encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
            God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
            would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
            so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
            doubt my scepticism.

          • yeoman
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
              Rakwena,

              > The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
              > Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
              > resulted :
              > Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain cells
              > actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
              > cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
              > rapidly.
              >
              > Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
              > encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
              > God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
              > would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
              > so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
              > doubt my scepticism.

              ---> It is not a case of removal of oxygen to the extent as to threaten the life of the person. The same applies to the lack of food which Moses would also have. All that is needed is sufficient lack to trigger a transient so that there is a god experience.

              But then once there is a god experience, it is seen as so personal and so linked to the self, that no matter of arguement from outside will change the view of the person who has that experience. It is easy for humans to compartimentalize their thinking so that even a scientist who has training in looking for evidence and proofs, may also fully believe in a god after some experience. We all know of people who go to church on Sunday and learn about loving each other, yet when outside the church they revert to being racists.

              All I was trying to show was the link between temporal lobe transients and god experiences. I do not have the expectation of changing anyone's beliefs.

            • Lorna Landry
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                Eduard,

                Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God experience?? I don't know? I can see if bringing on confusion and ultimately, unconsciousness, but a God experience? Have you tried it??

                Lorna

                yeoman <yeoman@...> wrote:Rakwena,

                > Are you saying there is an element of truth in fantasy?
                > And what aspect of religion are you dabbling in with your
                study of religion?
                > I seem to concentrate on the pragmatic side -pertaining to
                justice and the
                > social order, humanism part of it.

                ---> There is always an element of truth in fantasy. That
                is certainly the case for Greek mythology and is for
                Biblical fantasy. That is why they are referred to as
                metaphors. I tend to read the bible from the psychological
                side. If you want a god experience, then one of the ways is
                to withdraw oxygen supply to the brain. And you can do this
                by climbing up a mountain. Where did Moses go to
                communicate with God -- up a mountain.

              • manicpg
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                  Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God experience?? I
                  don't know? I can see if bringing on confusion and ultimately,
                  unconsciousness, but a God experience? Have you tried it??

                  > Lornaoved]

                  as omeone who has treid 99 out of 100 drugs, some of which cut off
                  the oxygen, raise adrenaline ect... I see beauty...

                  The human mind has the power to exist in such a state as that they
                  are staring at a combination plastic snapple plastic wrap over the
                  cap twisted with the straw wrapper, twisted perfectly around the
                  middle point of both peices stacked, a full twist creative movement
                  (intellignece), off to the distance in the light as a clear cut image
                  of a bird, not describable, sort of in clay, but straw wrap texture,
                  shine on the plastic the way it stands, picturesque

                  maybe i am crazy. no god still tho.
                • yeoman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                    Lorna,

                    It isn't axiomatic. And it is not a complete lack of
                    oxygen, only enough to initiate the transient.

                    I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                    dreams, to get to the same point.

                    > Will lack of oxygen to the brain always bring on a God
                    experience?? I don't know? I can see if bringing on
                    confusion and ultimately, unconsciousness, but a God
                    experience? Have you tried it??

                    > Lorna
                  • timm
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                      > I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                      > dreams, to get to the same point.

                      How do you cause lucid dreams? Simply by trying to "remember" to wake up
                      in a dream, or is there more to it than that?

                      And how is dreaming related to temporal lobe transients?

                      -timm

                    • leeedgartyler@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                        In a message dated 4/2/2003 5:38:22 AM Central Standard Time,
                        yeoman@... writes:

                        > Rakwena,
                        >
                        > >The mountain that Moses climbed is not that high to induce transient or
                        > >Hypoxic encephalopathy - if that was the case the following would have
                        > >resulted :
                        > >Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation. Some brain
                        > cells
                        > >actually start dying just under five minutes after their oxygen supply is
                        > >cut. As a result, brain hypoxia can kill or cause severe brain damage
                        > >rapidly.
                        > >
                        > >Moses came back with a vivid and lucid mind and was able to relate his
                        > >encounter to Israel and posterity. So people do encounter and speak with
                        > >God- unfortunately you and I have never been "LUCKY" in that regard. But I
                        > >would 't say the experience is imagined. I once read a book in say 1972 or
                        > >so Title 40 Scientist Affirm/Confirm Their Belief In God - that made me
                        > >doubt my scepticism.
                        >
                        > ---> It is not a case of removal of oxygen to the extent as to threaten
                        > the life of the person. The same applies to the lack of food which Moses
                        > would also have. All that is needed is sufficient lack to trigger a
                        > transient so that there is a god experience.
                        >
                        > But then once there is a god experience, it is seen as so personal and so
                        > linked to the self, that no matter of arguement from outside will change
                        > the view of the person who has that experience. It is easy for humans to
                        > compartimentalize their thinking so that even a scientist who has training
                        > in looking for evidence and proofs, may also fully believe in a god after
                        > some experience. We all know of people who go to church on Sunday and
                        > learn about loving each other, yet when outside the church they revert to
                        > being racists.
                        >
                        > All I was trying to show was the link between temporal lobe transients and
                        > god experiences. I do not have the expectation of changing anyone's
                        > beliefs.
                        >
                        > eduard

                        I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a historical event when it
                        seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews that functions to
                        legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.

                        Ed Tyler

                      • Tom Hickcox
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                          At 14:09 4/2/03, timm wrote:
                          > > I have not tried it. I am working on trying to get lucid
                          > > dreams, to get to the same point.
                          >
                          >How do you cause lucid dreams? Simply by trying to "remember" to wake up
                          >in a dream, or is there more to it than that?
                          >
                          >And how is dreaming related to temporal lobe transients?
                          >
                          >-timm

                          In the early '70s I was able to take control of my dreams at times. It was
                          the result of reading Castenada's "Journey to Ixtlan" & "A Separate
                          Reality." I don't remember specifically what I did & I no longer can
                          control them as well, but it was a result of something in one or both of
                          those books. I know I read Journey first & Separate Reality second. I was
                          not taking any hallucinogens.

                          The control was a big help as I was having semi-nightmares & was able to
                          control them. IIRC, I made a conscious decision in the dream to alter
                          it. The trick is to not think too strongly & wake up.

                          Tommy
                        • yeoman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                            Ed,

                            > I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a
                            historical event when it
                            > seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews
                            that functions to
                            > legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.

                            ---> Because all legends have an origin in truth. My view
                            is that the truth is psycological.

                            eduard
                          • leeedgartyler@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                              In a message dated 4/2/2003 3:19:41 PM Central Standard Time,
                              yeoman@... writes:

                              > Ed,
                              >
                              > >I am curious as to why you guys pursue this as a
                              > historical event when it
                              > >seems obvious that it's a legend of the ancient Hebrews
                              > that functions to
                              > >legitimate their code of laws as divinely inspired.
                              >
                              > ---> Because all legends have an origin in truth. My view
                              > is that the truth is psycological.
                              >
                              > eduard

                              What does that have to do with oxygen in the brain of a man who never went up
                              a mountain in the first place? The tale of Moses bringing the laws down from
                              the mountain is fiction: It never happened. It's an invention of the ancient
                              Hebrew tradition to legitimize their code of laws. Nothing more and nothing
                              less.

                              Ed Tyler