Re: Us and the World

  • manicpg
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
      thanks.

      tips hat.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Lorna Landry <lornalandry@y...>

      in vain? We're such addicts.******

      > LL******Yes, it's a real object, a real object of thought.
      > And yes, it is the very thing that links us (unless you have
      > paperwork to the contrary!)******
      >

      > ---> If it is a real object of thought, then surely this is
      > a thought of the mind ... of the brain.
      > LL:******Yes, it's a thought OF our mind, but Sartre would not say
      it's IN the mind. Consciousness for him is empty; always intending
      toward its object. But Sartre's poistion that this intending
      consciousness is a real thing in itself and subject to
      phenomenological study. For instance, one thing we know about 'it'
      (and I use that term loosely) is that it always intends an object.
      i.e. we are always thinking about something. Like I'm thinking about
      having another cigarette right now! I'm also aware of myself having
      this thought, which makes me think I should hold off to see if this
      craving will go away...Ok so it didn't.*******

      > LL******Yes, if either one of us ceases to exist, our
      > relationship ceases to exist and only exists in memory (for
      > the lucky non-dead person). But while we are both here,
      > existing, our relationship also exists, and we are the
      > essential elements of its existence. Without these elements
      > it ceases to exist. The fact that it does not stretch over
      > the Rockies and beyond the grassy knoll does not make its
      > existence any less real.*****
      >

      > ---> But again, if it exists in memory, then it must be of
      > the mind. Or are you saying that this object of
      > relationship is sort of like a spring that snaps back into
      > the mind of the non-dead person when the other end is
      > detached. However, my view is that it never stretched
      > across the Rockies or over the grassy knoll. It is merely a
      > metaphor for a projection of our minds.
      >
      > LL*****Then how do your neurons tell the difference between a real,
      existing relationship (such as this one between you and I) and a
      relationship recalled in memory?? (such as the one you can only
      recall after I'm dead: remember Lorna, she was so nice)? *****One
      exists (this one here, and even the fact that we can say, this
      relationship EXISTS imbues it with a being unique unto itself -
      THAT'S what phenomenology is looking at.), and the other is a recall
      of what once WAS. i.e. Lorna and I used to communicate via e-mail,
      but she's dead now, and we no longer do so...or maybe we will (hear
      eerie music here). *****

      > Lorna
      >

      > eduard
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT