Consciousness and the brain

  • yeoman
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 29, 2003
      I would like to continue on the thread of consciousness and
      the brain.

      Many say that consciousness is separate from the brain.
      That the brain only thinks. My view is that the brain
      contains everything; mind, soul and consciousness.

      If there is a consciousness which is separate from the
      brain, then it must do something. My question is, what is
      this thing that it does. I mean in terms of the specifics
      of a particular act.

      eduard
    • Lorna Landry
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30, 2003
        Consciousness makes us BE us. All animals have brains.
        Lorna

        yeoman <yeoman@...> wrote:I would like to continue on the thread of consciousness and
        the brain.

        Many say that consciousness is separate from the brain.
        That the brain only thinks. My view is that the brain
        contains everything; mind, soul and consciousness.

        If there is a consciousness which is separate from the
        brain, then it must do something. My question is, what is
        this thing that it does. I mean in terms of the specifics
        of a particular act.

        eduard

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • yeoman
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 30, 2003
          Lorna,

          Yes, we are conscious of US because we have larger brains.
          We have evolved large frontal and temporal cortexes. It is
          this evolution of the brain which enables us to be conscious
          of ourselves.

          It used to be that people thought that flies, or at least
          maggots, appeared spontaneously in meat. Science has shown
          that this is not the case. People used to think that a
          tooth ache was due to a worm. It used to be thought that
          the stars were actually holes in the sphere that separates
          us from the primordial light which god created before he
          created the stars. Even Einstein thought [or at least was
          told by astronomers of the day] that the Milky Way galaxy
          was the full extent of the universe. It was only in the
          1920s that Hubble determined that the Andromeda galaxy was
          actually another galaxy and not just some luminous cloud
          within our own galaxy.

          The thought of previous philosophers is still of importance,
          but we should take into account the new knowledge that is
          available to us.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 30, 2003
            Folks,

            Well, the number of members has gone back up to 325 from a
            low of 321.

            Shari,

            Have you advised your 3 friends to join, now that you things
            seem to be settling out??

            eduard
          • Lorna Landry
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 30, 2003
              Hi Eduard.

              LL*******I don't think the size of our frontal or temporal lobes have changed much since the dawn of philosophy. We are conscious and self-conscious because we are HUMAN.******

              It used to be that people thought that flies, or at least
              maggots, appeared spontaneously in meat. Science has shown
              that this is not the case. People used to think that a
              tooth ache was due to a worm. It used to be thought that
              the stars were actually holes in the sphere that separates
              us from the primordial light which god created before he
              created the stars. Even Einstein thought [or at least was
              told by astronomers of the day] that the Milky Way galaxy
              was the full extent of the universe. It was only in the
              1920s that Hubble determined that the Andromeda galaxy was
              actually another galaxy and not just some luminous cloud
              within our own galaxy.

              The thought of previous philosophers is still of importance,
              but we should take into account the new knowledge that is
              available to us.

              LL*****But what is there before the knowledge, or to 'back up' the knowledge? That is what the existentialists are asking. What is it that even makes knowledge possible? The size of our brain and what we know it about may change over time, but the examination/description of the fact that we even know anything to begin with, that's philosophy, and the ideas of the ancients are as relevent as those of today.*******

              Lorna

              > Consciousness makes us BE us. All animals have brains.
              > Lorna

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • manicpg
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                hi im a new member

                *gropes member*

                what? i am!

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, yeoman <yeoman@v...> wrote:
                > Folks,
                >
                > Well, the number of members has gone back up to 325 from a
                > low of 321.
                >
                > Shari,
                >
                > Have you advised your 3 friends to join, now that you things
                > seem to be settling out??
                >
                > eduard
              • yeoman
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                  hi manicpg,

                  Welcome to Existlist.

                  > > Well, the number of members has gone back up to 325 from
                  > > low of 321.
                  > >
                  > > Shari,
                  > >
                  > > Have you advised your 3 friends to join, now that you
                  things
                  > > seem to be settling out??
                  > >
                  > > eduard

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Sue McPherson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                    Manic pg (postgrad?),

                    what do you mean by "gropes member"?

                    Are you playing with your penis or is there
                    some other explanation my conscious brain
                    has been unable to neurolologize?

                    Sue McPherson

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                      thanks very much eduard, I look forward to chilling on this forum,rad
                      that it exists, because last few years I havent met many similar
                      minded people, and I equate or define my mind as "anything by
                      sartre" :)

                      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, yeoman <yeoman@v...> wrote:
                      > hi manicpg,
                      >
                      > Welcome to Existlist.
                      >
                      > eduard

                    • manicpg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                        ooh just kidding around no offense miss

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                          Makes no difference to me. But eduard is extending his hand to you in
                          goodwill!

                          Sue McPherson

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                            manicpg,

                            > thanks very much eduard, I look forward to chilling on
                            this forum,rad
                            > that it exists, because last few years I havent met many
                            similar
                            > minded people, and I equate or define my mind as "anything
                            by
                            > sartre" :)

                            If you are defining your mind as "anthing by sartre", then
                            you are limiting yourself. Sartre is an aid, but not the
                            end all. Of course, if you want to return to the adventure
                            of yesteryear, then I suppose the 1950s might do. I enjoyed
                            them ... to a certain degree.

                            eduard
                          • manicpg
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                              /me takes a long hard draw off the greenfilled cob pipe

                              defining my mind, defining the knowledge in my brain that I most
                              identify with -perhaps

                              ...no im not stuck in an era, more like trancending "era" alltogether
                              and living a huddled existence in the back of a church, stealing
                              their internet, smoking a corncob pipe

                              > If you are defining your mind as "anthing by sartre", then
                              > you are limiting yourself. Sartre is an aid, but not the
                              > end all. Of course, if you want to return to the adventure
                              > of yesteryear, then I suppose the 1950s might do. I enjoyed
                              > them ... to a certain degree.
                              >
                              > eduard
                            • yeoman
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                                manicpg,

                                > ...no im not stuck in an era, more like trancending "era"
                                alltogether
                                > and living a huddled existence in the back of a church,
                                stealing
                                > their internet, smoking a corncob pipe

                                ---> To say, "anything by Sartre" implies that you are
                                living in an era. The rest of your statement is not
                                understood.

                                eduard
                              • Lorna Landry
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                                  Welcome!

                                  Lorna

                                  manicpg <sacchmire@...> wrote:hi im a new member

                                  *gropes member*

                                  what? i am!

                                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, yeoman <yeoman@v...> wrote:
                                  > Folks,
                                  >
                                  > Well, the number of members has gone back up to 325 from a
                                  > low of 321.
                                  >
                                  > Shari,
                                  >
                                  > Have you advised your 3 friends to join, now that you things
                                  > seem to be settling out??
                                  >
                                  > eduard

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor