Existentialism and the Brain

  • eduard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2003
      According to Existentialism:

      (1) Existence is always particular and individual—always my
      existence, your existence, his existence.
      (2) Existence is primarily the problem of existence (i.e., of its
      mode of being); it is, therefore, also the investigation of the
      meaning of Being.
      (3) This investigation is continually faced with diverse
      possibilities, from among which the existent (i.e., man) must make a
      selection, to which he must then commit himself.
      (4) Because these possibilities are constituted by man's
      relationships with things and with other men, existence is always a
      being-in-the-world—i.e.,
      in a concrete and historically determinate situation that limits or
      conditions choice. Man is therefore called Dasein ("there being")
      because he is defined by the fact that he exists, or is in the world
      and inhabits it.

      ==========

      Existence is of the individual. It is not the individual and
      something else. The individual has no other means of determining
      his/her existence, but through the brain. The only means of making
      a selection is through the brain. That is, if we make a selection,
      it is our brains [with whatever training, experiences, social
      factors] it may retain. Thus, Descartes is correct in that "I
      think, therefore I am" and this expresses the existence not of
      Descartes the man, but Descartes the brain that is doing the
      thinking.

      Therefore, the proper study of exististential is with reference to
      the neurosciences.

      Comments??