Re: [existlist] Male Power

  • vanessa.vangelder@knowledgeobjects.biz
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 2, 2003
      lol @ Lorna, sorry good morning giggle...i know it's not funny, but isn't
      the irony in life absurd

      Lorna Landry
      <lornalandry@y To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      ahoo.ca> cc:
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Male Power
      02/28/03 05:26
      PM
      Please respond
      to existlist

      Eduard,

      I think the term male dominated society is used because that's what exists
      in the world, and yes, women have made many strides as far as getting
      ahead, but they cannot possibly be using term as an excuse for something.
      Males ARE able to be in a position of domination - and in more ways than
      one - physically, financially, to name two.

      I DON'T think this in any way implies that because you yourself are male
      that you are somehow inherently wrong because of that - unless of course
      you treat women with disrespect and as though they are lesser than you,
      which I do not think you do.

      As to your example of TV, both men and women, as far as I can see, are
      portrayed as idiots on the 'idiot box' - maybe as a man you're just not
      used to it because I think that may be a more modern addition. Women have
      been portrayed as dummies since the onset of TV.

      What really pisses me off is the inequality in the pay scale that seems to
      persist. Why are women not paid the same as a man for the same job? This I
      do not understand. My business is, for the most part, a male-dominated one,
      and I feel the 'boys club' around me alot at work. These, of course, are
      problems that originate from management, and trickle down through the
      hierarchy. I take it very personally when someone I know does the same work
      as me, but gets paid more because he's a man. Geez, now I'm in a bad mood!
      And I'm at work!

      Lorna

      eduard <yeoman@...> wrote:Vee,

      What I am trying to point out is that the use of the term "male dominated
      society" is often used as an excuse. What is wrong with the term is that
      it implies that any male on the planet is somehow able to be in a position
      domination. This just isn't true. Sure, in past years, those in power
      were male, but they were in power over both men and women.

      <<< no one is saying it's true, i think you missing the point >>>

      I am not sure what you mean by "missing the point" ...

      I guess what I am reacting to is the implication that in being a male, I am
      somehow inherently wrong in what I do. I have two daughters and my banker,
      doctor, real-estate agent, and boss are all women.

      <<< that's your stuff.....i think you have issues there honestly....you
      takign this all too personally i think, you need to look at the bigger
      picture >>>

      I am looking at the larger picture. This word "patriarchy" is being thrown
      around without looking at the present situation for which women are coming
      into their own. In a previous post you mentioned that in TV commercials
      only men are shown in positions of authority. That may be true for TV
      commercials, but in reality, women are making large strides in gaining
      these positions. That is not to say that there isnt a need for further
      advancements in this area.

      As to the "personally" bit, how else am i to take it?? Would it be
      acceptable, if a woman were to point out a female inequality, and then I
      would simply reply that she is taking it too personally??

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • vanessa.vangelder@knowledgeobjects.biz
      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 3, 2003
        eduard ... I think you are wrong on this. Many
        men are supporting the advancement of women. The
        world has changed, even in the past 10 years.

        Vee....yes eduard you are right there are a lot of men working towards the
        liberation of women, i think a lot actually offer more lip service to it
        than those actually doing something in my own experience but yes there are
        men working towards it....

        eduard ... I agree. But the changes in the third
        world are just taking a bit more time. There is
        movement in the Islamic countries to eliminate
        restrictions on women. Much of it for practical
        reasons, as was the case in the West.
        -------------> it's a very complex topic as i am sure you are well aware
        and even tho legistlation may be in place to protect women, but you can't
        legislate the way ppl think unfortunately

        eduard ... I dont understand what you are saying.
        Is it your opinion that "I" need therapy??

        --> eduard i think everyone could do with a bit of therapy, don't take it
        personally lol...no i am not saying that you need therapy, but i am saying
        that because men generally aren't very expressive about their inner stuff
        some night need a less subjective avenue to purge, i guess mens groups
        might do the same
        Vee